Soft Engines ?

vtiniall

Can anyone tell me why alot of people are telling me that the Subaru Turbo engine is a soft engine ?. Is there truth behind it. Are driver just driving the stone out of the car ?.

Poor maintenance and bad driving habits have a lot to do with it but all performance cars are more highly strung than average. Any engine can fail. I'm 5 years driving them and no bad experiences touch wood.

mine died a few weeks after getting it

friend of mine got one rebuilt and forged, self destructed after a month or so, with correct fueling

i think its a bit of both, weak if you dont take care of them, as soon as your start skimping of oil and oil changes revving to high for too long etc is when they kick you in the boy parts

[quote author=keith dublin link=topic=35726.msg409520#msg409520 date=1348690423]
Subaru 15 years and Never did an engine :xmas_cheers:
[/quote]

Fixed that for ya Keith :thumbsup:

On my 3rd impreza and never had any bother... A bit if mechanical sympathy when driving and regular maintenance and they can proove to be fairly reliable.

i am on my second scooby both uk wrx wagons one a 97 and now an 01, the 97 car had 208,000 miles on it when i sold it and never been touched .the 01 i have now has 174,000 miles on it both cars drivin hard and loads of track days trips to the ring etc so i would not be one to say they are soft. but i am religious with my oil changes every 3,000 miles it gets an oil and filter every 10,000 diff and gearbox oils ,both cars are modified the same with exhaust ,map ,fuel pump ,induction kit,pfr7b plugs ,also i dont believe in spending a fortune on engine oil mine gets 5w30 semi synthetic castrol and thats it ,i think in most cases failures are down to poor maintanence and may not even be the current owner can be an issue from previous use

I think a lot of failure are down to people driving them like they are a Civic. Subaru's don't like to be redlined all the time.

[quote author=Scruff link=topic=35726.msg409533#msg409533 date=1348695360]
I think a lot of failure are down to people driving them like they are a Civic. Subaru's don't like to be redlined all the time.
[/quote]
definitely agree with you man both scoobies i have had i have always dyno,d them and i change gear just as the graph flatens out with in my car now is about 5600-5800 rpm even to the rev limit is 6500 - 6700 boxer engines done like revs there better in the mid range

suprized this not mentioned before lads fitting downpipes and the likes and not havint the car mapped for the mods will result in failure and also cars imported from japan that run on higher octane fuel and get ragged out of it when they hit the roads here without mapping also ends up with failure

Subaru engines are by no means a soft engine. Oil and fuel are paramount,Japanese subarus are mapped for 100 octane fuel from 1998 onwards and their ecus dont have enough flexibility to compensate for our 95octane. This leads to detonation within the cylinders and ultimately piston failure. The newage cars appear to have a tougher bottom end but also a different ecu so less prone to det. As Dec has said,you cant change your oil often enough,but then thats the case with all performance cars. The still type r would seem to contribute a lot to the soft engine rumours but people forget that this is one of the most highly strung members of the impreza family,with what is essentially a group n gearbox which gives savage acceleration but also has you over 3000 rpm in 5th at 100kph.

Welcome Niall!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_biggrin:!!!!!!!!!!!

vtiniall
Learner Driver

[applaud]
Soft Engines ?
« on: Yesterday at 07:14:10 PM »QuoteCan anyone tell me why alot of people are telling me that the Subaru Turbo engine is a soft engine ?. Is there truth behind it. Are driver just driving the stone out of the car ?.

i also have been told that taking them over 5000rpm will increase chances of blowing head gaskets is this true or is only if you do it all the time

Not true, sure the car won't have even have reached peak power at 5,000rpm. Take it to 6,500rpm no problem or 7,000rpm if you're going to make a corner and don't want to lose time by changing up :icon_grin:

Think all has been answered above.

Don't always drive the stones out of them or sideways.

Have buzzer yoke set just after 6000 and rarely hear it but it can still put a smile on me face when asked

Think its worth bareing in mind 2 things...
they are a Turbo engine after all....
and their age.

Back