Ceramic coating on turbo

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
So i was browsing turbo upgrade options, some come with the Zircotec ceramic coating on the exhaust housing, some have it as an option for about 250 quid. is it worth the extra money? im looking at MDX321T 1645 gbp from lateral and MDXLM450-S60 1596 gbp from turbo dynamics, both twinscroll billet variants, i think they are more or less the same turbo. They are both listed as being good for up to 450bhp. another option is the sc42 from scoobyclinic which does not come with ceramic coating at 1495. So i need to decide which would be the best one to go for! not too much info online about the twinscroll models of these turbo's but the ones from lateral and turbo dynamics are what they recommended via email over other ones they have so they must be good options. Now i just need to find the money and a vat number!

[quote author=KENC link=topic=35684.msg409024#msg409024 date=1348175896]
Nope, buy a good blanket, how much is litchfields for one of his
[/quote]

Litchfield ones are made by turbo dynamics so same prices. I would think if the blankets were a better option they would be selling the turbo's with the blankets rather than the ceramic coating

The Zircotec coating comes off after a while,
And as for how good they are, well you get yours coated, drive the ring out of it for 2 miles, i will do the same with mine, you put your hand on your coated exhaust housing and i will put my hand on my blanket see what happens

[quote author=KENC link=topic=35684.msg409118#msg409118 date=1348261593]
And as for how good they are, well you get yours coated, drive the ring out of it for 2 miles, i will do the same with mine, you put your hand on your coated exhaust housing and i will put my hand on my blanket see what happens
[/quote]

how would that be conclusive?

[/quote]

You must have played some weird games when you were a kid Ken! Ill probably go for one with Zircotec coating for about the extra 80-90 quid if it does come off ill buy a blanket and you can touch it all you want! My blanket i have on now does get fairly hot i still wouldnt want touch it, I think ceramic coating and a turbo heatshield would keep 99% of heat in the turbo. if the coating comes off within the two year warranty, ill send it back. simples

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=35684.msg409155#msg409155 date=1348314751]
[/quote]

how would that be conclusive?
[/quote]

I thought it was fairly self explanatory myself Dave, maybe it went over your head do.

seriously ken. a touch test.

ceramic coating does not just come off after a few months/years at all.

very robust. but it does not like impact. so if it has can break away in chunks.

but as far becoming worthless and non efficient after this type of period is false to say.

kens touch test is in your opinion the conclusive test. really ken now.

as above as dan has expressed this is the method of choice for the turbo manfactuers but
blanket sometimes gets choosen over ceramic coating where buyer is keeping
costs at a minimum.

So you saying the Ceramic coating is a better insulator then Dave???????????????

[quote author=KENC link=topic=35684.msg409223#msg409223 date=1348419731]
So you saying the Ceramic coating is a better insulator then Dave???????????????

[/quote]

lets come back to the question before this??

why do turbo exhaust housings get ceramic coated or blankets on in the first place?? what is the benifit??

im keeping to reduce radiant heat into engine bay and keep exhaust gas flow in the turbo hopefully aiding better spooil :049:

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=35684.msg409228#msg409228 date=1348421977]
im keeping to reduce radiant heat into engine bay and keep exhaust gas flow in the turbo hopefully aiding better spooil :049:
[/quote]

If your having trouble keeping the exhaust gas flow in the Turbo then you have more to worry about than coatings or blankets :multijump:

Now
If the aim of the game is to lower your engine bay temps, and keep the heat (ENERGY) in the Exhaust gas, and by keeping the heat (ENERGY) in, then increasing or maintaining the velocity of the exhaust gas... and hopefully helping spool up .

And to do this you need what????? a good insulator :ponder:, and back to my question that wasnt deemed not important........................... which is a better insulator????????? :doh:

this is like pulling teeth

Back