Squeaky squeak

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
so my rear brakes a squealing like a pig under low speed, low pressure braking, i thought it was the lack of shims on the EBC redstuff i had fitted that was causing this, so i greased them up and tried them again and still there, so i changed to a new set of standard pads that came with shims and put some copper grease on the shims and back of the pads, squeal is still there with the new pads so im not sure what im doing wrong, any idea's how i can cure this? it goes away if you stamp hard on the brakes but thats not always the best move!

Check the heat shield and pad retaining clips on the caliper that they are not rubbing against the discs

Is there a lip on the disc Dan, having thr same problem on the 520 at the minute and seems to be a small lip on the inside of the disc and the pad is rubbing on it.

I doubt there is a lip as the discs are fairly new. I'll take out the pads and clean the copper grease off the shims and put them back in and see if that helps. I'll check the discs while I'm there

Are the leading edges of those pads chamfered? If not, that'd cause your squeal under low speed, light breaking.

hmm i presume you mean angled at the edge and not straight? i have to check them out. i cant remember if they were or not. are they handy enough to file down around the edges?

Ye, most pads will have a little angle at the edge to allow plenty of bedding in time. You can file down the leading edge easily enough if indeed its not already chamfered :thumbsup:

cheap compound pads will squeal dan nothing for it but a change for something little bit better like mintex oem or similar

discs are grand, less than 10k on them.ill give pads and discs a light sanding later to see if that helps things, maybe they didn't bed in properly

ill try they few other steps first before i need to suffer down time on the car sending the discs off to get skimmed. how much would that cost roughly for two 290mm discs?

50 quid for both in Howard engineering finglas, he'll do them same day if you call beforehand and get them to him early. Got mine done there

Im having the same problem on my 01 legacy,gona take another look tomorrow and see wats the story,I got new rear pads last year but never changed discs which look like they could do with a change?do the rear discs slip off as easy as the front ones cus i never changed before?<I didnt know the rear brakes worked when braking?are they not only for hand brake? or have you a different setup dan? but im pretty sure the noise in mine is at the front?Ive replaced pads twice in 6months but no joy!I only use the cheap apex pads by the waY

Back