DOT 5.1

JohnRA

Member Number 3801
Anyone know where to pick some up? Heard Motul do a high temp 5.1 fluid. Anyone know how this will match up against Millers 300c race fluid?

My mechanic advised against using this as it wont mix with Dot 4 so you have to flush the whole system and if you need a top up far from home it can be hard to lay your hands on some. :dontknow:

Halfords sell their own brand of it. I've millers 300 in at the moment, not DOT 4. The whole system is being flushed.

sorry to jack the thread Bonito
but anyone know what i should put in my saxo for the track day
same as this :dontknow:

[quote author=scoobycolm link=topic=35547.msg407698#msg407698 date=1346706401]
sorry to jack the thread Bonito
but anyone know what i should put in my saxo for the track day
same as this :dontknow:
[/quote]

Have a thread on DTD too. Couple lads saying Motul RBF 600 and 660 aren't great. The RBF 600 has a boil point of 320 and the 660 is put at 345. However there's a 5.1 fluid from Ferodo graded at 280 degrees and Baz now using the millers is saying the ferodo 5.1 is the best he's come across. In saying that, the millers isnt a 5.1, it's just a high boil point fluid.

i have only ever used 5.1 in any of my cars including the saxo and never an issue with it. if your boiling 5.1 you need to look at your driving style not your brake fluid and im a pig on brakes :multijump:

[quote author=gonzogicken link=topic=35547.msg407672#msg407672 date=1346695548]
My mechanic advised against using this as it wont mix with Dot 4 so you have to flush the whole system and if you need a top up far from home it can be hard to lay your hands on some. :dontknow:
[/quote]

Eoin, I'd get rid of that mechanic as you should never have to top up brake fluid cause if you did you'd have a leak and no brakes you would be dead by now. It's obvious you can't mix two different types of fluid so just flush the system. Motul 660 is the best no question( its good enough for the swrt) and you will need between 600 to 800 ml and it only comes in 500 ml bottles so if your worried so can put one of the bottles in the boot.
The only problem with any dot5.1 is it let's in air bubbles so it needs to be changed once a year.

I think he meant due to pad wear Johnny. If doing a lot of track time coming up as I have 20 pots all round So if I rub 4mm off the pads, I may need a top up. :thumbsup:

Back