Clicking Noise

Mark Cahill

Full ISDC Members 2015Member Number 555
Hi lads. I have a clicking noise coming from the driver side front wheel, usually when the car is turning left. Sometimes if i'm on an uneven road you can hear it every now and again too. This noise has only started since i fitted the new front brake discs and pads. I have a feeling it is a CV joint but if I lock the wheel in either direction the clicking doesn't happen only on half and quarter turns. The noise is not usually uniform either so if i'm going slow on an uneven road it sounds different than going round a bend at say 30kph.

From searching here and other sites I've found 3 possible problems, each with similar clicking noises to my own.

1. CV Joint
2. Loose brake pad rattling in the caliper
3. Worn track rod end.

Is there any way to find out for definite what it is? If it is any of the above how safe is it to drive on?

Best to have a look under the side where the sound is comung from.

Torn CV cover and grease splatter is a sure sign its gone.

I knew I left something out of the original post!

I've been under the car a couple of times since the noise started. There is no split boots and as far as I can see nothing looks to be worn or damaged.

When stationary, does it make the sound when turning the wheel left and right?

When driving, does the car tend to follow the humps and hollows of the road or stay where you point it?

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=35532.msg407528#msg407528 date=1346543868]
When stationary, does it make the sound when turning the wheel left and right?

When driving, does the car tend to follow the humps and hollows of the road or stay where you point it?
[/quote]

No noise when stationary Robbie and I'm pretty sure the car goes were I put it but just a clicking noise then when turning to the left or on the odd speed bump. I'll double check tomorrow though about going were I put it.

I had the same problem yesterday after fitting new tyres. The fitter placed the balancing weights too far in, so they rubbed the caliper. I moved them out a fraction and cured the noise without unbalancing the set up. Hope you sort it. :049:

Back