LPG Conversion

adrianfa

ISDC Club Member
Has anyone any experience of this?
I've been in touch with a company in Carlow who can convert the impreza for €1000. They use BRC products.
There is another company in Dublin who charge €1250. I don't know what product they use.
Autogas availability is scant but you can run the car on petrol if you run out of gas.
You can make your money back in about 18 to 24 months depending on your mileage.

Few of the lads up north have it done.

Seems to be the way to go. Original map copied from ecu and only approx 10hp loss.

Is there enough places selling it down here.

:smokin:

Afaik in Galway, there is a service station in Loughrea and one in Claregalway. Claregalway is not that far from me so that would be ok.

Carlo, would you know what system the guys up north have installed in their car? and who did it for them?

Looked into it, was able to get work done for about 800 euro
However not enough availability to make it worth while in areas I most travel in /around

My local gas depot started selling lpg lately. Check out your local gas bottle wholesaler ,they might be selling it also.

LPG was quite common years ago. Maybe it'll make a return but sure then just like petrol, it's price will hit the roof eventually.

I think I'm going to have to forget about this idea......

I spoke to someone from Calor Gas and I was told that, some years ago, we did have the infrastructure for selling LPG but diesel won the votes for people looking for better fuel economy. The LPG infrastructure has not seen investment in recent years and that coupled with service stations having stopped selling it means its availability is poor, meaning that less people are likely to convert. It's a bit of a catch 22.

I asked if it was possible to get a bulk tank at the house but that's not a runner either due to safety concerns.

There are were 3 service stations in the Galway area but it looks like 2 of them don't sell LPG anymore leaving only one in Loughrea which is about 20 miles from me. The way things are going, they might stop selling it too. I might ring them up tomorrow to see if they do still sell it, just out of interest.

For those who are interested, I got two quotes, €1k and €1250. I'm waiting for another from Northern Ireland.

@Murto it would be great if LPG gathered momentum again. Sure, we'll have to wait and see...

@Carlo thanks for the PM :thumbsup:

LPG is available in Boyle ,it's a lot cheaper than petrol so very tempting to convert.Has any one converted a Subaru turbo?Theres one on car zone that's converted,an 07 WRX.Could engine damage occur from it long or short term?

Back