new shocks and springs

scoobysub

ISDC Club Member
as above lads need new shocks and springs for the legacy as the car is sitting all over the place and it rubbing over bumps and its sitting very low. not looking for second hand ones would rather go new unless there's very little milage on them looked at koni shocks and spring which are very good but there working out at 920euro from ebay delivered which is quite expensive i think .i was wondering was there any cheaper places to get this set up or similar set up cheaper would like it back to standard hight .or in such a way as no rubbing .

cheers johnny :thumbs up:

want to put it back to standard height johnny so that's why i was going for new shocks and springs looking at coilovers they seem to be coming in at about the same price about 900 euros which is more that i was thinking so will have to have a re think .

everyone seems to be giving out about coilovers with one of the failing and then cant be fixed anyone any good stories about them or good makes .i bought a set of bc coilover for the lancia but there untested as of yet

i can sent them back to the wagon :icon_grin: but ye has to be comfy enough not a back breaker .

joe we are dealers for kyb so ill price them in the morn for ya and see what they are and new springs also you be better off standard for what you do with the car man

i have tein super street in the hawkeye and they are great, they feel just like standard suspension.

how often do you drive the car and how often do you have the family in it?

once or twice a week mostly and the odd blast . not that often being fair but they could get use to it

changed the front suspension to red bilstein shocks and springs today . but there about 4 inches shorter than the ones i took out :ponder2: but they seem stiffer and the car is sitting at the same height but the passenger side is still sitting a bit lower than the drivers side . another thing i noticed is the chrome rod in the shock in the old units are about 1" thick the new red suspension it about 2" thick .

also there were camber bolts in the top hole of the suspension struts both sides is this standard :dont know: also i adjusted them into the last so as to clear the arches is this right or wrong . or do i need to go get it set up properly

its just that they are a different design joe thats why they are shorter stiffer rate spring and shock so has less travel,dont know why it is lower on drivers side man would need to check it to see if something is up ,

the reason the new ones are 2" thick rods is that the struts are inverted that means the actual shock is fitted upside down in the strut it stops flex under heavy cornering

as for the camber the standard bolts will give about -1.5 camber each side bit much for the road but good turn in on track be no harm to get a full geometry done

I fitted bilsteins to an RS 2000 mk5 a few years back.They were excellent on standard springs.The fronts had the larger ram too.Expensive but worth it.The car is doing the RS circuit now and for sale again.I sold it in 2005 and got a wrx bugeye.

Back