Wheel Cleaner...?

JAMIE-TYPERV6

Octane Boostaholics
Morning all... I've a serious pain in my boll*x with my wheels. As much as I love the OZ Superturismos I fitted on my wagon they are an absolute pain in the ass to clean being multispokes. I haven't washed the car since Terenure as it's so off putting having to clean the wheels. :wall:

I don't want to use an acid based cleaner on them each time I wash the car it will damage the clear powder coat lacquer... and I just don't have the patience to clean each individual spoke on my hands and knees with a sponge.

So my question is this.... Is there some miracle product out there that will clean them without having to put in the hard graft...? Something you spray on... leave... and wash off leaving shiney mint wheels? :pray:

Auto Glym do a no acid wheel cleaner. Works really good. Combined with a good wheel polish/sealer applied once in a blue moon it would cut back your cleaning time massively.

Mick WRX is an auto Glym rep.

Cheers Eric... but trying to avoid anything acid based though. Been warned by the guy that powder coated my wheels that it takes it's toll on the lacquer with time.

Autosmart smart wheels or valet pro bilberry. Both alkaline based cleaners and good value for money. Both can also be diluted down with water as well for maintanence cleaning.

You have to go either acid or alkaline, otherwise you might as well be spraying ph neutral water on your wheels and the better choice is alkaline as its not as harsh on the wheel finish.

Think I have the end of a gallon of bilberry that you can have as I'm using smart wheels now, ill have a look when I go home :thumbsup:

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=35342.msg405559#msg405559 date=1344845458]
Think I have the end of a gallon of bilberry that you can have as I'm using smart wheels now, ill have a look when I go home :thumbsup:
[/quote]

But you only got your wheels done recently too, why would Jamie not be able to use the same product as you if both the same lacquer?

Don't really understand the question :iamwithstupid: .. he can use either, I just offered to give him my leftover bilberry if he wants to try it as I'm using the smart wheels now...

think I read your first response wrong :doh:

I thought you were using an acid based wheel cleaner but clearly you weren't :wall:

In my defence I was up late last night watching McIlroy win his 2nd major but today is a bit like :new_gmorning:

Cheers for the offer Robbie... I might ask you to bring it to the BBQ with you and I'll grab that off you. Karma lad. :thumbsup:

I was strongly considering changing the wheels again for something like Milleniums as I've such a pain in my hole cleaning the OZ's. :doh:

Id strongly suggest cleaning the wheels properly then putting 2 or 3 coats of polish onto them and then a few coats of rim wax,
It wont help them to stay any cleaner, but it makes them 100 times easier to clean!!!!

Autosmart smart wheels

got it on a group buy a few months back , great stuff , i dilute it down a fair bit on the prodrives but the dirt still runs off the wheels , only time i didnt dilute it was to clean up the standard enki wheels which were so bad i didnt think anything would clean them but the autosmart lifted them back to like new

Just remind me and I'll bring it no problem J :thumbsup:

Regarding cleaning the wheels, get something like this meg's slide lock detailing brush, good for getting in the nooks and crannies.

003632.jpg

Will be soft and won't do any damage to the wheel face. Halfords used to do them, think thats where i got mine. Then get a normal wheel brush as well to get behind the spokes.

ez-detail-wheel-brush-large.jpg

I have a sealant you can take to try as well but for some reason I thought you already had them sealed? You can do the face while they are on the car but you'd really be best taking them off and doing them individually and getting behind the spokes to protect everything.

Cheers Robbie for the advice. I've been meaning to buy one of those brushes in halfords for the last while. Must pick one up this week. I bought Autoglym wheel sealer and treated them before I fitted the wheels but it only seemed effective for a short while and is probably overdue another application. I'll be taking the wheels off in a few months to refit the standard rims with my winter tyres so I might just treat the faces now and then the rears when the wheels are off and stored up for the winter months. I love the rims.. But they're so impractical on a daily car as they get dirty quickly and are as mentioned a pain then to clean regularly... I'm also pretty lazy when it comes to cleaning the wagon but it's just so hard to keep looking well with the long commuting I do.

Back