6 Speed conversions

JohnRA

Member Number 3801
In a classic. What's involved? Rear diff, box, shafts? More? What's the ballpark figure for the conversion?

think you need a dccd control unit/ecu then also , id say best bet would be to ring a breakers yard or look up scoobynet and see how much they are going for and then ring few traders on here about fitting , think the r160 is the diff you'd be looking for along with matching shafts etc for the classic

Also need a starter motor, flywheel, rear diff cradle & new clutch.

Depending on the year of car the box came out, you wouldn't need the shafts but most would come as part of a kit as they are pretty worthless otherwise.

Installed with a good quality clutch, you are probably looking in the region of €3.5-4k.

If its a type r or ra, the the dccd can be wired up through the classic system (but you lose the auto setting), otherwise you will need an external controller at about €300 plus labour

Jaybus! If you got a new age with DCCD cheap enough you'd near have your money back in breaking the DCCD alone!

but you would want to be stupid to pay 3k for a 10 year old box out of an 02 sti for eg.

the only way i would pay 3k for a box is if it was a low milage box from a 05/06 sti with everything, clutch starter the lot. any other box from older car with higher mileage would only be worth 1500 max.

sure there are 01 sti's complete going for 3/4 grand

[quote author=Bonito link=topic=35108.msg403039#msg403039 date=1342825608]
Exactly. You'd want to be sure of the car you're puttin it into aswell.
[/quote]

Good point but usually lads putting them into a classic have had extensive big power/torque rebuilds and they keep destroying the 5 speeds so they would justify it that way. For example you wouldnt just by a classic with breathing mods (and a remap) and bang a 6 speed dccd in for the craic. 5 speed dccd would do the job, V5 and V6 gearsets are stronger also.

If I hang on to the wagon I will have to do a conversion at some stage because I want to fit a big turbo also at some stage , good topic man :thumbsup:

V5/6 STI boxes are on there limits at 400ftlbs, and probably on borowed time if being used hard, i mean they will last for ever if doddling around the place at 400ftlbs, but track, drag, or hards use its gonna end the one way.

It was never really an issue untill 2.5s were started to be used, and straight away the torque jumped on these cars, you may well only have 380bhp, but its quite possible to have 400or more ftlbs on a 2.5 engine.

As for justifying it, well its a horses for courses thing isnt it, after all how can any of us justify spending the money on fuel, tax, insurance etc etc.. but we do. So its really up to the owner, you will never see the money back by selling the car complete, and with newage STI gone so cheap it ads another dilema

There is 2 choices when it comes to increaseing power, you can leave the 5spd in and wait for it to break and then go 6spd route... or remove 5spd now when its in perfect working order, sell it and off set the cost of a 6spd.. thats the way i went about it, and iirc think i was able to get 800e to go towards the 6spd.

Back