Black smoke and oil in intercooler piping...

maximusbiggus

Middle Lane Hogs
When flooring it in 4th and/or 5th only black smoke comes out the exhaust after I let off and accelerate again... It knocks in same gears too at high revs and boost.(car is mapped by pat...) I noticed an oily residue from the dump valve and I took off some inter cooler piping and it was lined with oil. I'm thinking its linked.
Its probably knocking because the oil getting into the intake is lowering the RON of the petrol and also thats whats causing the black/dark smoke. But I don't know how the oil is getting into the i/c piping...
Any suggestions or similar experiences would be great... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:subaru: :subaru: :subaru: :subaru: :subaru:

p.s.   I absolutely smoked my mate in his 330-350bhp EVO VII the other day. :dance: Just puttin it out there!! :lol: :lol: He is starting a project on his car soon too.  :?

Shane have you got a catch tank ? If not get one fitted. Its a common thing when you start running higher boost. Same happend mine.

Its made its way through the pipe work im sure.

Damo

Which pipes does the catch tank link into.

Has anyone a pic of one installed

Just curious ! :thumbsup:

mack

Cheers lads. :thumbsup:
I'll get that fitted as soon as possible. But will the oil eventually work its way out of the intercooler or will I have to take it all off and clean it out? Is there something I can put in to clean it? Its actually starting to do it in 3rd now aswell so I'm gonna take it handy till i get it sorted.

[quote author=maximusbiggus®™ link=topic=4042.msg42080#msg42080 date=1192722103]
I'll get that fitted as soon as possible. But will the oil eventually work its way out of the intercooler or will I have to take it all off and clean it out? Is there something I can put in to clean it? Its actually starting to do it in 3rd now aswell so I'm gonna take it handy till i get it sorted.
[/quote]

The same thing happened my old WRX. The higher boost causes some of the oil to blow back up into the turbo. This eventually finds its way into the combustion chamber and reduces RON and causes knock. Its not a problem on STIs as they have a a different intercooler than the WRX and is easily cured with an oil catch can or aluminium breather tank.

You can clean your intercooler by pouring some petrol into it and shaking it around, drain it on its side and then leave it on its side overnight to dry out. You can do this yourself but the IC can be a b**ch to refit sometimes.

Frawls

[quote author=FRAWLS link=topic=4042.msg42085#msg42085 date=1192723090]
[quote author=maximusbiggus®™ link=topic=4042.msg42080#msg42080 date=1192722103]
[/quote]
The same thing happened my old WRX. The higher boost causes some of the oil to blow back up into the turbo. This eventually finds its way into the combustion chamber and reduces RON and causes knock. Its not a problem on STIs as they have a a different intercooler than the WRX and is easily cured with an oil catch can or aluminium breather tank.

You can clean your intercooler by pouring some petrol into it and shaking it around, drain it on its side and then leave it on its side overnight to dry out. You can do this yourself but the IC can be a b**ch to refit sometimes.

Frawls
[/quote]

Cheers man. Its a FMIC anyway and I fit it myself so there are no worries there anyway!! Its just a pain to take it all off... time consuming... :roll:

if its a fmic I would imagine the oil would just sit in it defintly give it a good clean, might also b a good idea 2 check your oil level while you're at it.

I dont think its your lack of catch can is causing it, i hope its not but sounds like turbo to me.. i had no catch can and it was after a hard run and when you let her stop for couple of hours when you start it up it would fill the yard with smoke, as all oil that was along inlet walls had made is way down and gathered, when your driving with boost its leaking away but its under so much force its a fine mist and is stuck to walls of ic and inlet, ans any that gets down into cylinder is burnt immediatly not causing smoke as it doesnt get time to buil up, it is when you let off it cant burn it and therefore when you put foot back down you have to burn the bit thats built up,
i only really ever had the smoke prob after a drag race, this is where the g force of taking off can actually push oil up the crank breather and into intake system, a catch can will solve this, but i dont think it will with your prob.. take off your turbo to ic pipe and put your hand or a piece off paper in front of turbo outlet and get some one to rev car up , you might have to go as far as 4 or 5k revs, and if you have oil spray out of it, its your turbo unfortunetly....
Oh and maxi be careful who you get advice off as some people would tell you the only way is to cut a chunk out of your expensive intercooler and get a flat plate welded back to solve the problem, probably causing at least 20% cooling efficency loss :doh: :wall: {thats a little joke between me and Dave legacy by the way} :D
Any way hope its the catch can solution for you,  :ponder:but i have afeeling its your blower

Well thats what happens... Its when after flooring it, I let off and then put the power back on that the smoke comes. Also the though has crossed my mind that its the turbo but its a brand new one that I fit When I put the engine back in... Thats not to rule out that it may possibly have been faulty but I hope not.

@ Dave. seen as do you were able to publically give your uneducated (IT NEEDS TO BE CUT) advice, and also by doing so backing Yogi, i dont see why i would want to pm you? :dunno:, only for you to save face Dave....  :doh:
Why cant you answer the questions that i put to you on the topic in public view? :ponder:, and dont say because it was locked, as i had asked you i think 2wks previous.
You were clearly WRONG in what you said, WRONG for getting involved, WRONG for twisting the story and stating that me and Damo had ruined Yogis thread,
After all my name was unfortunetly in the first sentence of Yogis wanted post, not yours Dave. You backed up yogi by backing his cut up fitting guide, Yogi showed no consideration for me, and ruined two of my for sale posts, and you know that you wouldnt like someone to write what he wrote in relation to the two posts, but  your not man enough to admit it incase you upset a customer, your also not man enough to stand up and say, jesus that fitting guide that i was shown was crap and in fact "you were right Ken" complete nonesense, instead you want me to pm you.
So is this the future for you and your up and coming business Dave, when questioned and in wrong, to want to resort to "IF YOU WANT TO SHOOT YOUR MOUTH OFF, PM ME" and give me the fingers????...
i wasnt shooting my mouth off, i was stating my case to Yogi, and you stepped in, and i asked you to answer me honestly and you couldnt.. to me Dave it seemed like you jumped into unknown territory to save a  customer, but you forgot about a possible potential customer. A bit of friendly advice Dave, now that you want to trade maybe you should be more cautious about taking sides in disputes and jumping in as you always have before, as to defend one you have to attack another.

@ Maxi
It would really seem to me that its your turbo, did you take the ic pipe off the turbo like i said????

Well you've just taken over and ruined maxibiggus thread NOW???? :roll: :roll: :lol: :angry: :angry:

And after i've had time to look into shortening the resivoir neck myself i will reply back to you PUBLICALLY findings one way or the other....... And i've absolutely no bother saying i'm wrong if i am wrong. :thumbsup:

NEVER claimed to be expert on swapping later parts to earlier cars!!!!!

And on a personal note which is solely IMO by the way................

Your attitude seems off the scale.................
Not a usual members one.........????
Maybe you need to get out more or CLUBS just aren't for you...... :ponder: :ponder:

I can organise boxing gloves and a ring with all the headgear for both you ladies if you really want to have a go!

Just the fact that someone has an independent view seems to be what you have a problem with Dave,
seems that its your way or no way, i see you have gotten yourself into unknown territory again :clap:,
this time your studying peoples behaviour and printing your conclusions, but yet again your wrong, :wall: clubs are definitly for me, its guys with an attitude like yourself that arent ... and if being a USUALL CLUB MEMBER means constantly sticking your nose in where it dont belong or always being involved in arguments, and ridiculing peoples posts like you Dave and just plain bullying at times.. well then im proud not to be a usuall member as you stated in your orthopsy of my behaviour :thumbsup: And in relation to looking into the shortening of clutch resevoir, well let me save you time, you cut it, put it back on and thats about it really,
but i would be genuinly interested if you would look up how much less efficent ithe sti8 top mount would be at cooling if you followed the fittig guide that you found/ backed up? wonder would it be any better than the standard sti6 one after it?? be interesting to know i think

I dnt think i ruined Maxi post, i gave him a good educated thought on his problem..
Did you :ponder:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

great man........... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

how about turning up to a couple of CLUB EVENTS THEN???????????????

By the way anything else you wanna say then say it????????????

And get it over and done?

Getting tiresome?

How about you as a commitee member, and supposed professional dealer, learn your place.... i dont beleive it was a requirment when i joined up the club that i HAVE to go to club events, nor do i think you have the right or the title to critisise me over it. Not that its any of your business or i owe you any explanation or that i had any obligation to go in the first place, but i will explain why,
1. I am building my house, and have no time to spare..  2. i usually try to spend my weekend with my daughter..   3. engine went in my car and i havent it on the road yet and i dont feel like turning up in a vectra or something... 4. i was gone away from scoobys for a while. these amongst otheres are the reasons why have been not able to get to any events, it does not mean that i dont appreciate the club events  or the organising that goes into them or that i dont want to go, its just thats the way im fixed with time.
So i have to agree with you Dave and this is getting tiresome and the free time that i do have to log on, i am spending it replying to you.
so in fairness you have paid your money to advertise on the site and the more this goes on the more your advertisement is waisted as this is not good advertisment for you,, so think we will give it a rest :thumbsup: 

Back