Fuel pump install..

scoobyke

Walbro Fuel Pump Installation on a WRX 2005
-------------------------------------------

First things first. I do not take responsibility if you car ignites, you ignite or your wife beats you over the head. This is how I did it, and it worked for me. Use at own risk! Make sure you work in a ventilated area, because the fumes will get you ( Still got a bit of a high )

Ok, there is the quick way ( Read - long way ) , which I did and there is the right way.

The right way is to remove your back seat and then do the work. The quick way is to work in the boot with the center seat folded forwards. I promise you , you will curse and kick things this way, but in the end it is possible.

Ok here goes. Follow the pictures in order.

First Picture
------------

- Remove you boot carpet and the wood panel underneath it.
- In the right hand corner at the back you will spot the cover for the fuel pump
- Take out the 4 screws to remove the cover. ( This is where the cursing starts already, the two back screws are a mission to get out. I just used a really short screwdriver to get them out )

Second Picture
---------------

- This is how the top of the unit looks like. Strange that it gets so dirty without ever being opened?

Third Picture
------------

- Disconnect the white plug as indicated. This cuts the power to the pump
- VERY IMPORTANT!!! - Now open your fuel cap as if you were going to put petrol in. Start the car, it will die eventually. After that crank it another few times for good measure.
- Your fuel system is now unpressurized. If you do not do this and you start unbolting, you might get a blast of petrol on you. ( Read wife beats you over the head after trying to put the fire out )

Forth Picture
-------------

- Remove clip A by squeezing the front part of the orange clip and pulling the black clip over it back. ( You might get some leakage here, so have a cloth handy )
- Unclip the little clip that holds the hose over the brass hose. Get ready to swear because this mother really sticks. See hose B
- Repeat the same for hose C
- Now you need to start removing bolts D. There are 8 in total. Be sure not to drop them down otherwise you are going petrol fishing to get those suckers out of the tank.
- Take care of rubber plugs E. Don't brake them when you are trying to take the unit out. There is one right in the front which you can't see on the picture. This one goes inside a metal housing, so when you pull the unit out be sure to take it out gentle, not to brake these off. Plugs E holds the rubber seal on the underside of the unit.
- Now get ready to rumble!! You will get out, get in, get out, get in. Wipe sweat, have a smoke. Swear a little etc. etc.
- You need to have patience to remove the unit. I can't tell you what worked, because I tried about 8 times before getting it out. You need to be gentle and patient. Don't force it because you might break the thin brass line that connect the fuel meter to the unit.

Picture 5
---------

- Firstly, make sure you have safe area to put the pump unit down. It WILL be leaking petrol. So I just used a plastic bag, so that nothing can escape.
- Ahh, it's out ( At last )
- First marvel at how dirty the fuel filter is!!!
- Remove power clip A
- Loosen clamps B
- Now you basically pull the pump out.
- Don't worry about the black hose coming off, because you are going to replace it with your new Walbro's hose.
- Also at the front of the unit is a rubber housing, you can remove that as well, because you will be supplied a new one as well.

Picture 6
---------

- First connect the new fuel filter to the new pump. It basically clips in. Just remember to use the little o-ring that comes with the unit, to secure the filter in place. See Filter A
- Insert the pump in rubber bung B
- First take out your old clips and slide over your shiny new clips over the brass hose.
- Slide your new hose over the pump
- Slide the hose back onto the brass hose. See hose C
- This part is a bit tight, you have to put some pressure to get the hoses fully seated and the bung to be able to fit at the top
- Finally clamp the hose down with shiny new clips D

Picture 7
---------

- Comparison between the two and parts left from the old unit.

Now you basically do all the steps in reverse to install the unit back in. Be very careful to put the unit in gently, and don't force it. After a couple of tries ( Read 12 ) , it will fit in snug.

Remember to not over tighten the small bolts, for they can strip.

It's easy-ish, but it's a lot of work and sweat. I'm sure it will be a whole lot easier when you take out the back seat.

I hope this helps and please comment and add if you can think of anything.

Emile

Yes it does but only uk spec have a folding rear seat, all JDM models the back seat is fixed, but it is still possible to do without removing the rear seat back :thumbsup:

Back