How to make your own det-cans

scoobyke

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Knowledge/MakeYourOwnDetCans

Make yourself some DET cans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With turbo powered cars - our lousy fuel (our pump 95 being the same as USA pump 89 and our race 98 being the same as USA pump 93) Det is the enemy !

Make some det cans to listen for it and avoid it !

How to make up some det cans

Procure yourself a piece of copper pipe as used by plumbers - about 8-10cm long - flatten one end in a vice only about 2 cm need to be flattened - drill a hole - bolt this to the block under the intercooler about 4-5cm from std knock sensor - there is normally a row of 3 or 4 bolt holes there

Then get a piece of clear silicone pipe that slips over the end of the copper pipe snugly (make it as snug as possible under bonnet temps will make the silicone softer) - make sure this length of pipe is enough to go out and up through the scoop and in via the passenger door and then up to ear height - when in use make sure there is enough tension to prevent it rubbing on the bonnet and making scuff marks.

Then get a set of ear muffs / defenders / protectors drill a hole in one ear to accept the silicon pipe, you may need to "re inforce" this with some glue / gunk or whatever.

congrats you have spent 50 bucks on a stethoscope and this lets you listen to the engine - put straight 95 in and drive and learn what det sounds like - when you hear krkkk krkk etc "sparking/arcing" and then remember then noise and make sure you dont let the car do that again

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We'll let you demonstrate the first working version Rob,
can't wait to see you Overtaking with that held to your ear

Niall. :p

So thats what the noise is from my engine... oh b*ll*x, and I don;t need to pretend to be a doctor to hear it!

Where did you hear about the RON ratings?

I always thought it was a universal measurment? :ponder:

u can make it first m8, I also thought that the RON number was a universal used through out the world?

RON is a universal mearurement. The pump rating ( seen in some parts of the states) is an average of RON and MON. Mon is a more severe test and is more important to forced induction and high reving engines. Fuel companies don't usually release the MON rating.

RON + MON divided by 2 = pump octane rating.

John

Back