gearbox dipstick

kbox

Octane Boostaholics
I recently started hearing a strange sound in my engine bay when driving and had a greasy sort of smell coming into the cabin. I checked everywhere for leaks. had a mechanic check the engine. Nothing wrong. I noticed the gearbox oil dipstick was loose and what looked like grease or thicker oil near the turbo. Its nearly clear not like used engine oil.

Could this leak from where the dipstick for the gearbox fits? It wont stay in tight so I'll need another one I think. Anyone got one?

Dipstick in the gearbox is not that tight anyway. Oil can drip down onto the heatshield or manifolds, from the camcover, which can be hard to see. Grease from the inner CV boot ( if split) can splash up there,

John

Im sure if you have a little bend(with pliers) at the round fixing cover on the shaft of the dip stick, you'll be able to make it fit a bit snugger.
When i changed box oil a small bit ended up on the turbo heat shield and it did smell for a few miles after.

If you bend the dipstick you will make the max filler mark move up so you might overfill the car with oil just watch out for that as to much oil can be as bad as to little :thumbsup:

Back