Building industry

briancollins

Octane Boostaholics
Anyone on here involved in the above?
If so has any one noticed that there's no work in this fu*k of a country. And still tryin to keep juice in a scooby

im tiling for the past 12 years and out on my own the past 6 years and have always had work but the last few months have been slow enough...might have a full weeks work for 1 week then just 2 days the next week...everything is slowing down big time...have a few buddies in different trades that are doing feck all work at the mo electricans chippies etc...

I'm a process engineer and working with a big engineering firm. We are dead too.

I think there is very little work out there across the board..

was a painter and decorator for 10 years- got out of it a few years ago
have to say it was a great decision- a lot of my mates are now trying to get work to keep things going
CELTIC TIGER me ar5e :hang:

[quote author=Yogi link=topic=4024.msg41921#msg41921 date=1192629462]
I'm a process engineer and working with a big engineering firm. We are dead too.

I think there is very little work out there across the board..
[/quote]

Was something similar to yourself, got made Production manager for my troubles. things are a bit quiet here too but should pick up again soon.

And I'm after getting planning permission for our house so will be looking for the guys in the building trade !! :thumbsup:

I'm a haulier in the building industry and It's taking a serious knock. Out everyday- but just about.
Market has slowed down plus every single non national has a truck licence coming into the country, working cheaper which enables other firms to cut prices. Fact not fiction :angry:
Cheers
John

the aul lad is a contractor. we have one 5 bedroom house, four 4 bedroom houses and 4 semi d's in mullingar for the last year and only one 4 bedroom house and one of the semi d's are sold.

Jaysus lads! I'm real sorry to hear about all the hard times!
but it's all this "The celtic tiger is dead" talk that's fooking everything up in this country!!!!!
If everyone keeps saying that, then no one is going to have confidence in our econemy, and if we don't have any cofidence in our own counrty then other countyries will not feel confident investing in Ireland!
The same applies to the building, Because of a couple of interest rate hikes (across europe) every body desides to hold off on buying that house they have wanted and needed untill the market stablizes, people still need somewhere to live!!! so when cofidence starts to build again then poeple will start buying again and hopfully we'll all be happy again!
There is so much room in this counrty for industry! even just based on land area Ireland is about 25% the size of the Britton but we only have 6% the number of poeple here!
So I think the celtic tiger just got a bit of a shock and as long as we (as a country) don't keep dwelling on it we should be back to normal soon enough! :pray: :pray:
I also think that the media are mostly to blame! Nothing but negative stories all the time!
I hope you's all get sorted! :thumbsup:
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=4024.msg42006#msg42006 date=1192663850]

I also think that the media are mostly to blame! Nothing but negative stories all the time!
I hope you's all get sorted! :thumbsup:
Dan
[/quote]

I couldn't agree with you more Dan. I'm a property Lawyer and have seen a major downturn in house sales and purchases in the last year but things seem to be turning around now albeit slowly.The Media have a lot to answer for but then again bad news sells newspapers. You'd rarely see newspapers flying off the shelves if it was all sweetness ans light on the front page.

The economy is just realigning itself to where it should be. It was over hyped and over priced and is going through a process of readjusting to a sustainable level.

Our Celtic Tiger is founded on historically low cost of borrowing. Interest rates are still unbelievably low compared to just about every non EU country so there's no need to panic unless you're one of those who the bank gave a 100% mortgage to as most of these borrowers had very little savings to begin with but the bank managers didn't care as long as they hit their lending targets.

Inflation in Europe is what will kill off the Tiger as it will create upward pressure for further interest rate increases.

Like it or not the so called "Imports" are a net benefit to our economy as we do not have the labour force to sustain economic growth without them. Dont forget we have plenty of our own able bodied on the dole who aren't interested in working but who could. They are the real drain on our taxes but taken in context as the country is still at or near full employment we are a long way away from a crash yet.

Back