IHI VF22

A

alan c

Hi all,
Ive being thinking about getting a turbo upgrade and just checked what turbo i had.Its a IHI VF22.I was thinking about the TD05-18G.Whats the max BHP/Tourqe i could get out of the turbo that i have???? Looking for in the area of 350+ bhp!!!

alan c

You could send it off and get it turned into a MD195 which is a VF22 Hybrid with a larger compressor wheel fitted and different compressor housing. The standard 22 can be a little fragile around 1.3bar and have heard of a few breaking at higher boost so wouldent chance it.

I THINK it has the highest potential of all of the IHI VF series turbos and good for the top end power. But Spool up is slower then the rest of the IHI turbos because it has the larger P20 housing.

Damo

Andy Forredst had a Td05 18G on his My 03 WRX before he sold it. He told me it put out 375 bhp and 380 ib/ft.
torque.

He also fitted the Td 05 20G but wasnt as happy with it as the TD 05 18G so went back to the 18G which he said in typical fashion "....was the way they should have come out of the box in the first place"!.

Frawls

Also the 18g is more or less the same as the 16g for spool up.

Hey Alan
IHI turbo's are know for there weekness.
Yes they have quicker spool up times etc...
than the TD series turbo's but if you going to spend the
money get a TD05 18g or 16g

I have the TD05 16g fitted and very happy with it.
You really would wan't to have one sensitive ass to feel any
lag :p

The main thing you would notice is your probarly starting to boost
at 2000 - 2200 rpm... fit a TD05 and that jumps to 3000-3200rpm
but at the same time it keeps boosting right up to the red almost :smokin: :smokin:

Niall.

Cheers Lads.Looks like its a TD05 so!! Better safe that sorry.

You could get 350 from your VF22 - in fact maybe even a little more than with a TD05, but a TD05 will give more bottom end grunt and provide boost earlier.  It is also a very tough turbo, whereas the VF22 compressor wheels (VF23 too) are fragile.  Basically, TD05 will make for a faster car in the real world.

Richard

Back