Eircom broadband problem.

JohnRA

Member Number 3801
So the GF had 10gb limited broadband from eircom on an 8mb speed line. Recently her neighbour offered to pay half the bill if he could use it so we gave him the WEP key. Then she got a bill and whatever he was doing he was going over the limit by an extra 10gb.

So she paid the bill and swapped over to an unlimited download allowance. The modem kept timing out every half hour so I switched it to always on but the DNS keeps timing out and I can't leave it always on. Anyone know how?

Its one of two things,

Your line may not actually be able to handle 8MB is disconnecting when under load, so Eircom needs to tweak it or bring it down 1mb to & 7MB and see how it goes,

BUT... if your using that piece of crap " BLACK " eircom router, then its known for its wireless freezing and hanging, maybe borrow another route before ringing Eircom.

Yeah Aaron is right, you need to ring them and they will bring the bandwith down to 7mbits, which should start working.

He's also right about the black ZYXEL router offered by Eircom. Its a piece of shite, blocking everything it can possibly block.

Ah, forgot to reply. Was still doing it after bringing it down to 7mb and changing the router. It's the wireless device in my laptop. I went away on holidays and came back and it's been acting up since. Inspected the laptop and looked like someone dropped it. Found out the GF's housemate put it in the bedroom while we were away and her sister was staying over and during the night she kicked it against the wall. Dozy bint. Why people can't just leave stuff well enough alone when it's put somewhere.

She's also moved my drivers license and passport and I have the Olympics in exactly a month today.

Anywho, my wireless device keeps switching between ipv 4 and ipv6 and that's why it's cutting out. I set the router to only use ipv6 but my laptop still tries to bridge over to ipv4 and same happens if I set the router to use ipv6.

Back