What say you about compressor stall??

goosie208

Petrolheads
Greetings lads

so I just fitted a Forge DV that may or may not be working haha

I think it's either got a really weird vent or it's not opening and causing stall

It sounds quite good actually but I have read conflicting stories on the web about it being dangerous or not

What say you?

Also has anyone for a forge IC mounted valve? And does yours make the stereotypical psssh noise??

Cheers :)

You probably need a softer spring, what colour is the valve using? I have a few spare springs

I presume we ate talking about dump valve here?

Problem could be. ( as mentioned above ) that it is not opening properly and dumps air back in to airflow meter so it fecks ups air readings and cut out engine. Some valves can be regulated. If not then spring has to be changed .

I was worried the sping would be too soft to be honest from having a fiddle with it when it arrived it seemed dead soft, not sure of the color tbh

I get a flutter (stall??) at about .8 bar but it goes silent at full chat 1.4 bar when it should vent

Not sure a softer spring will handle that pressure??

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=34840.msg399752#msg399752 date=1340453540]
Are you getting some chatter/flutter noise from it?
[/quote]

That's exactly what I'm getting

Wasn't sure if it's stall as I mentioned or just the noise the valve makes

Mine dies that too.. It was off my STI and is now on my Wrx and I reckon the spring is too hard and not opening properly causing the flutter. Not sure if it's doing any damage but I've a spare turbo there just in case.

I read, (on the Internet so it's most likey rubbish) that it can be bad for the engine too?? :ponder:

I quite like they sound though

But I'm looking for a chirpy DV ideally :icon_biggrin:

I'd say you might get away with the next softest spring down to eliminate it. I have a Forge recirculating one that if I use the stiffest red spring it will flutter like crazy (through the induction kit). Put the Blue spring back in and nothing

[quote author=goosie208 link=topic=34840.msg399781#msg399781 date=1340465713]
I'll have a check what color I have

Be a bummer if it's the softest green one haha
[/quote]

Yeah would be strange :icon_lol:

Is it compressor stall?

Turbocharged engines operating at wide open throttle and high rpm require a large volume of air to flow between the turbo and the inlet of the engine. When the throttle is closed, compressed air will flow to the throttle valve without an exit (i.e., the air has nowhere to go).

In this situation, the surge can raise the pressure of the air to a level that can cause damage. This is because if the pressure rises high enough, a compressor stall will occur, where the stored pressurized air decompresses backward across the impeller and out the inlet. The reverse flow back across the turbocharger causes the turbine shaft to reduce in speed more quickly than it would naturally, possibly damaging the turbocharger.

In order to prevent this from happening, a valve is fitted between the turbo and inlet, which vents off the excess air pressure. These are known as an anti-surge, diverter, bypass, blow-off valve (BOV), or dump valve. It is a pressure relief valve, and is normally operated by the vacuum in the intake manifold.

The primary use of this valve is to maintain the spinning of the turbocharger at a high speed. The air is usually recycled back into the turbo inlet (diverter or bypass valves) but can also be vented to the atmosphere (blow off valve). Recycling back into the turbocharger inlet is required on an engine that uses a mass-airflow fuel injection system, because dumping the excessive air overboard downstream of the mass airflow sensor will cause an excessively rich fuel mixture (this is because the mass-airflow sensor has already accounted for the extra air that is no longer being used). Valves that recycle the air will also shorten the time needed to re-spool the turbo after sudden engine deceleration, since the load on the turbo when the valve is active is much lower than it is if the air charge is vented to atmosphere.

From reading that I think find out where the air is exiting. If it's not going back across the impeller and out the inlet then there's no risk of damaging the turbo?

[quote author=goosie208 link=topic=34840.msg399770#msg399770 date=1340461541]
I read, (on the Internet so it's most likey rubbish) that it can be bad for the engine too?? :ponder:

I quite like they sound though

But I'm looking for a chirpy DV ideally :icon_biggrin:
[/quote]

Never a truer word spoken :icon_grin:

No it's defiantly stall sure of it now

From my research and vids/sound clips I have seen its identical

On my next day off I'll rip it apart and have a look

I had a forge D/V on my type ra and it always made the proper noises and never had any probs with it (still have that d/v now i think of it)

Is the vacum pipe on correct, no holes, and plumbed direct to inlet, not T off fuel reg

Yep defiantly correct, just used the line that was there from the factory recirc valve

I would load a vid but it's really quiet, like you can't hear it at all with the window down as you'd expect, and of the radio is on even at a respectable "newstalk" level

Can only just about hear it in the cabin with the windows closed

I presume because the long intake pipe and airbox are bampening it

Back