Methanol in the Tank

Rob Spec C

Octane Boostaholics
Going to remap in a few weeks but rather than using booster, I was intending putting 5L of methanol into each full tank of E5. Heard it has a fantastic effect on the octane rating and allows for some serious advances in timing.

Question 1 is will putting 10litres per tank increase that again or will the ratio of meth to petrol be too much? baring in mind its a spec c with only a 50L odd tank. So with 10L, it would mean a 20% meth mixture.

i have methanol for sale couple of lads on here use it no bother sorting ya with some if ya need it robbie,im mapped for 20% meth an i presume the bigger the % mapped for = more power if thats wt u mean :smile: :thumbsup:

the caveat there is that petrol fuel lines are not "compatible" with methanol...is 20% a problem???
methanol is also very hygroscopic so it should not sit in the tank for too long...

Thanks lads, reckon I'll probably go with the 10% mix. Gonna get everything sorted over the next few days hopefully, need to sort myself with some containers to store it over the next few days.

[quote author=Milo link=topic=34597.msg396501#msg396501 date=1338449844]
the caveat there is that petrol fuel lines are not "compatible" with methanol...is 20% a problem???
methanol is also very hygroscopic so it should not sit in the tank for too long...
[/quote]

i think if you plan on using 100% meth or the likes you will need to use different components to deliver the fuel meth is widly used in the uk for a long time now,i havent heard of pumps lines ect failing as yet

10% alcohol (ethanol but not much different) is a standard petrol in some countries and will probably become here in time...even if you put E85 (when it was available) it wouldn't go kaput immediately...
another thing there is that in non-alcohol (rubber) system alcohol has a tendency to etch things and gunk accumulates therafter in the upper engine- not a bad idea to add some "detergent" along...

[quote author=mac mac link=topic=34597.msg396539#msg396539 date=1338475061]
al , roughly how much a litre is methanol ??
[/quote]

Works out about the same as a litre of petrol afaik so cheaper than running booster, thats why I'm planning on using it instead. People have been running 10% meth for years in the UK so I can't see a problem running it. gonna give me some extra zoom zoom juice :icon_grin:

robbie would it be recommended to only use it on a forged engine or an engine like your car with forged pistons iv'e been looking at this for a while and like the idea of it but what restrictions would you have using it i.e engine types
@ p1 impreza does that go for storing it in the barrell at home or only when its in the tank mixed with petrol

I have been storing it in white plastic 25lt containers in a press in the shed,
it's cool and dark where it is and have never had any problems :thumbsup:

[quote author=GORDON GT SERIES II link=topic=34597.msg396551#msg396551 date=1338480129]
robbie would it be recommended to only use it on a forged engine or an engine like your car with forged pistons iv'e been looking at this for a while and like the idea of it but what restrictions would you have using it i.e engine types
@ p1 impreza does that go for storing it in the barrell at home or only when its in the tank mixed with petrol
[/quote]

for storage at home,if the air gets at it it will go off,them you mix with petrol and you get sludge

theres 2types of meth you can get,il find out witch and were to get it

[quote author=p1impreza link=topic=34597.msg396566#msg396566 date=1338485210]
[quote author=GORDON GT SERIES II link=topic=34597.msg396551#msg396551 date=1338480129]
[/quote]

for storage at home,if the air gets at it it will go off,them you mix with petrol and you get sludge

theres 2types of meth you can get,il find out witch and were to get it
[/quote]
Water causes it- needs to be tightly stoppered

[quote author=mac mac link=topic=34597.msg396539#msg396539 date=1338475061]
al , roughly how much a litre is methanol ??
[/quote]

as robbie say same as a liter of petrol

20% Is the most common mix.
For a standrad Car Robbie its hard to know if you will see much benefit, there is a thread on 22B at the moment and from what i am getting, if you are able to meet your maximum boost threshold Without it on E5, then there isnt much gain in it,
You should do some research first before making a decision, i personally dont think in your current spec the gain would justify the cost and handling of it
Have a read of this, especially page 2
http://bbs.22b.com/forums/showthread.php?27607-Disappointment!

Thanks Ken :thumbsup:

I'm basically looking at copying Nicky with a 10% mix of meth to E5. With 10%, his car was able to advance the ignition 7 degrees.

I was always going to map it for E5 and the methanol but in the last week, we (she) have decided that we're more than likely going to move back northside of Dublin again where there's a severe shortage of Maxol stations. So I've a bit of a dilemma, the only time I'll really be refuelling is when I take the car out for meets with the club where I can always refuel in a maxol around the N7/southside.. But I keep thinking I would be silly doing that so would I be best mapping it for 95 with 20% or map it for 95 with 10%? Would the 20% go some way closer to bridging the gap after going for 95 instead of E5.

I may also have a source of ethanol but why bother storing both when I can just fill with a 20% meth mix.

Has anyone in the UK used ethanol instead of methanol? Both have similar effects on the ron rating I assume? So say for example, I have E5 with a 10% meth mix, thats effectively adding 15% mix. So a 20% meth mix with standard 95 would provide the same or better results?

I havent seen anyone mention Ethanol in the UK Robbie, and if they aint using it, well thats a good indication for you..
You could always try the 95 with a 20% mix.. it would probably claw you back up to E5.

One word of caution do, if you choose to go methanol route... you really need to ALWAYS have it in, if you run out you can limp around without it but in no way can you press her, the car is mapped far leaner with Meth.

On another note, on my first V6 Sti, which was a really fresh car, as it was only few years old, despite being advised to map 95 with Booster i mapped for 95 only, and with an exhaust system and panel filter, the thing was rapid, and tbh there was nothing around that would stay with it.. so to be fair 95 isnt as bad as what its made out to be when well mapped..

In your case, with not using the car the whole time i would map for the E5 regardless of where its located

Back