newage exhaust system question!! opinions wanted!!!

lloyd_flat4

Middle Lane Hogs
Hi everyone.

so as most of yee know by now i drive a 03 1.6AWD impreza blob.
it has standard exhaust with an aftermarket backbox - nice sound.

i want get more of a rumble from the flat 4, i know it wont be a great sound seen as its only 1.6, am i right in thinking that it has equal length headers as standard? i just want to know, not like im going to fork out the hundreds of a set of unequal borla headers anyway.

question

if i was to remove the stock centre section and just put a straight through stainless pipe with a blitz nur spec or vortex afterburner backbox would it make much of a difference against just putting one of the mentioned backboxes on to the stock centre pipe.

bear in mind this is purely for sound.

thanks. :thumbsup:

i can get a straight through stainless steel centre section made for 80 euro with flanges and oem length and size.

any help on this would be appreciated as exhausts really are not my area at all, especially on scoobys, and especially for getting the rumbling burble :hammerhead:

keep an eye on ebay man , used borlas and borla replicas come up for nice money ,

some forester and legacy unequal lenght headers can be made fit with some modifications and would be cheap from a scrappers ,

as for ss centre sections , they'll just make the car really loud and drone on long drives ,

Don't know about the headers, would have assumed they were unequal like the turbo models (apart from twin scroll versions).

Centre section and backbox you mentioned should give a nice fairly loud sound :subaru:

[quote author=Tommy 555 link=topic=34533.msg395667#msg395667 date=1337796937]
keep an eye on ebay man , used borlas and borla replicas come up for nice money ,

some forester and legacy unequal lenght headers can be made fit with some modifications and would be cheap from a scrappers ,

as for ss centre sections , they'll just make the car really loud and drone on long drives ,
[/quote]

cool yeah i have been looking on ebay the last while and they get grabbed up fairly quick, the more i look for one the more i hear they are hard to come by. especially for newage.

its not loud im really after, its more the falt4 sound that yee turbo lads have. although i know a blitz/vortex will be but i want the nice sound with the large tail pipe look and the loudness is something that comes with that, the draw back. but i can always pop in a baffle on long journeys.

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=34533.msg395682#msg395682 date=1337799457]
Don't know about the headers, would have assumed they were unequal like the turbo models (apart from twin scroll versions).

Centre section and backbox you mentioned should give a nice fairly loud sound :subaru:
[/quote]

you could be right man but im 90% sure that the non turbos have equal headers :new_puppy_dog_eyes: why i dont know :icon_hang:

think il go ahead with the ss centre section, and maybe put my current back box to it and see how it sounds and it might give an indication of what it will be like when i fit another back box.

and then i can decide if i want the borlas maybe

also a third option for a backbox would be a ninja 2, anyone any opinions on these?

loud or too loud? as loud of blitz or vortex? nice sound?

thanks
:thumbsup:

my r-sport had equal lenght headers and pulse extraction , and fairly sure the 1.6 i had before that had the same system . slight rumble on tick over but nothing like the turbo cars

well bud ne chance you could put up a vidro of you exhaust ,just have a 1.6 myself and looking for the same kind of thing :thumbsup:

[quote author=medic1 link=topic=34533.msg395692#msg395692 date=1337802003]
well bud ne chance you could put up a vidro of you exhaust ,just have a 1.6 myself and looking for the same kind of thing :thumbsup:
[/quote]

will do pal, il put one together tomorrow and post it up :thumbsup:

also lads just had my head under the car for a look and i THINK the centre section on my car at the mo may be aftermarket cat back, it has a cat/resonator but its a cylinder shape one unlike others on the rest of the exhaust.

medic1, maybe you could help and tell me what shape the cat/resonator is on your center section, is it cylinder shape or odd shaped like the others . thanks :thumbsup:

[quote author=medic1 link=topic=34533.msg395774#msg395774 date=1337850964]
well bud not sure if this helps but here is a pic of the underside of the car :thumbsup:
[/quote]

aye same as my own medic1, standard so.
il put that video together in a few mins.

[quote author=mac mac link=topic=34533.msg395782#msg395782 date=1337853637]
UNEQUAL headers create the burble afiak , open to correction
[/quote]

yes that is correct mac mac, borla headers are also UNEQUAL. :thumbsup:

Man I've a 1.6 too got a de cat and straight threw centre pipe from cobra sport in uk they have the fit ment for 1.6's and great sound from it too

Back