Opinions on Exhaust Manifolds? Are they worth it?

F

forester sti

Ive been told by a few poeple now, not to run my car's standard engine past 370 - 380 bhp as the pistons cant handle it!! :cry:
so I want to make her as responsive and torquey as possible! I'm still trying to make up my mind as to the turbo I want, there are so many of them but not many running on 2.5L cars!
Anyway what do you's think about tubular manifolds?? some lads say it doesn't make any differnce and others say min 25 bhp improvement!
Is it worth it for what I'm doing?
My cars is running happy at 327 bhp and 442NM at the mo! and I'd like to sell my current vf41 turbo when i do get sorted!(9.5k km on it)
So what do you's think??
Dan

Well i changed mine,you can defo feel a differance,they say you gain a few bhp,i got the GT-SPEC from Damo,if you get,get the un-equal or you will loose the burble :shock:and ya wouldn want that now...and as far as i know it should give you more top end run... :ponder:

If you gain top end! do you sacrifice bottom and mid???
I relly want to keep mid range torque as high as possible! I'm shying away from top end bhp to keep my engine safe!!
Thanks for your input man!
Dan

A good set of headers + uppipe can make a nice gain but depends alot on other mods. Like Rob I have the GT Spec on mine aswell.

Damo

Is mid range affected at all?
eg. with gt spec headers if they give better top end power! Is it loosing out anywhere?
Or is it better all through the rev range?
Dan

GT Spec one makes an improvement throughout the rev range. Depending on a few other things like up pipe and turbo etc. Even getting the standard header and uppipe ported could be an option. There are people running around 400bhp on the hypereutectic but I wouldent go near that myself, They have ridiculously tight factory tollerances.

Thanks very much lads!
I appreciate your advise! :thumbsup:
Dan

Back