Help needed lads

mdunne7

Sunday Drivers
Well lads was driving home from town today and about 1km from home the fan belt started squeaking..opened the engine bay to find smoke coming from where the water pump is and coolant all over the left side of the rad and tb cover...let the car cool down,put water in it and started it again..when I revved the car a small bit the water started bubbling back up out the top of the rad..any ideas?

The water pump is on the passenger side as you look in, when you say left of rad i think of drivers side???

Sorry Ken no the passenger side has all the coolant on it...bit worried that's the head gasket is knackered..

The rads are very prone to Cracking, ive replaced a rad on id say 90% of Imprezas ive owned, mainly the plastic end tanks but ive seen one of the thin aluminium tubes crack aswell.
I had a top hose with a pin hole at jubilee clip, and it pissed water out nearly across to the other side of engine bay,
Check the top and bottom hoses, check the hoses going from pump to Oil modine, Try to determine the rough area where the water is coming from and narrow it down that way.
The belt squeeling is only from the water getting onto it, so that might point you in a certain direction aswell.
After emptying of water and refilling it you probably have air trapped, hence the bubbling etc etc...
You need to get water back into her again, and run her and see can you find the leak,

Thanks lads..was dark last night but gona have another look at it this morning..topped up the water last night and had a quick look but couldn't see anything...il give the local Subaru garage a call today but will prob cost an arm and a leg with them if it's anything serious

where you based?
Check front side of rad aswell, water will blow through the rad and onto engine, could be a Stone done it

I'm in Athlone Ken..i have a fmic so don't think a stone hit it..subaru garage picked it up today..they reckon it's a busted rad or rad pipe..they said they have never replaced a head gasket before as it's an uncommon problem with the impreza..fingers crossed

I'd say Ken's right, from the sounds of it, its just a cracked rad :pray:

For the price you'll pay subaru for a rad though, might be worth getting a mishimoto aluminium rad from couture.

Well lads just an update here..got the rad pressure tested and it's cracked along the top of it..any idea what might have caused it??wear and tear??Or maybe high temp caused an increase in pressure?anyone have similar cracks before?

Before you go and hand out 4 or 500 to Subaru, ffs buy a rad yourself and fit it yourself, you will be finished with new Coolant for under 200 e

common fault mark i had my car bout a year and had the same issue and the classic i had was the same easy to fix as ken said just buy a rad and fit it yourself or if ya need a hand get a rad and call over to me ill stick it for ya man

Back