Clutch gone or something else?

Federal

Petrolheads
Hi.
Have a bit problem with clutch. 5 months ago put new exedy organic clutch to my wrx. Now noticed that on 4 or 5th gears when coming on full boost have bit clutch slip.
Example. Driving on motorway around 100km/h speed and on 3k rpm push accelerator pedal to the bottom rpm start rise normally up to 4.3-4.5k rpm then stops for a moment droops around 400 rpm and goes up again normally. If pressing pedal gently but with pretty good acceleration doesn't noticed this thing or at least its not dropping rpm just might like stop rpm rise for a blink. After driving no smell of burning clutch.

Any ideas what's could be? Looks like I drive normally not on clutch. Mainly on motorway. Underneath gearbox doesn't see any oil leak. Or again clutch are gone?

tried today again push pedal to the metal on my way home.

bit like slip on 3rd gear but not bad at all.
in 4th and 5th gear around 3.8-4.2k(in 5th gear up to 4.6k) rpm fells like slipping then drops around 100-200rpm and goes futher like normal. boost gauge showing normal boost around 0.8 bar no boost drop(might be slight drop but after slipping then rpm drops down) or increases.

ecu error reading didnt show anything

tried to check clutch. handbrake 5th gear and bit revs around 3k rpm drop the clucth and revs dropped straight away engine switched off. like should be.

have feeling might be rear crank seal as not so long ago front crank seal was replaced as was already leaking.

dont have any video

Wouldnt have thought the clutch would be on the way out already unless its been abused or badly installed.. So most likely the crank seal leaking, although i would have though it would leave a drop or 2 on the ground :dontknow:

didnt see any oil will try tomorow lift up car in garage.
clutch cant say abused drive like always same like all my previous cars
badly instaled? hm dont think so as it would be gone straight away.

so one real guess is oil seal :doh: a lot of work

[quote author=GORDON GT SERIES II link=topic=34325.msg393818#msg393818 date=1336585936]
it is a lot of work man as its in behind the flywheel so thats box out clutch and flywheel
[/quote]

i know :) was changing clutch

but thinking to take out engine and do some few small works in same

Bring it for a spin and abnormally change fron 3rd to 5th and floor it..
It wouldnt be the first Exedy that i have heard of slipping far before it should, also there is alot of duds out there, Not torqueing the pressure plate correctly, weak fingers in pressure plate, clutch not bedded in properly, the clutch plate getting a scorching and glazing up... whole load of stuff that can cause hassle, and again its not of un heard of with Exedy.. think they are over rated myself tbh

Ken Exedy are OEM equipment suppliers to subaru.

I would not think its thd brand.

But certainly could be other things.

How come rear crank seal was not replaced when doing clutch?

Ive seen 3 Exedys give trouble after about 1000 mile over last few years, and 1 actually slipped after 600 odd mile and was only on an Integra Type R, So no big torque issue or anything.
I dont know where they were bought from so could be duds.
But i have seen Andy F recomend oem 2.5 6spd Sti clutchs over the Exedy organics

rear seal wasn't replaced by simple reasons totally forgot about it when clutch was changed.
ahh anyway will see because will be removing engine. and then i see what's happen.

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=34325.msg394081#msg394081 date=1336687751]
Where'd you buy it from? Could it have been a copy, not a genuine exedy?
[/quote]

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=34325.msg394087#msg394087 date=1336689605]
have you removed the gearbox and inspected the clutch??
[/quote]

not yet but its slips a lot. was in two garages for check same answer. dont put exedy next time(even dealer told me same thing). will be removing on monday

so let me get this right. have not inspected the clutch but have advised its exedy is problem even though they are Subarus suppiler for 20years + and also named trader from a drift forum who
you bought the clutch from in same quote as related to possible exedy copies.

And all that with zero evidence or inspection. And all this with
also ruling out inproper installation without any inspection.???

conclusive alright......

@ federal I have removed the name from your post
As there is no proof he did anything wrong
cheers Colm

i never told that he sell or did something wrong i think he is nice guy and sold good clutch i never stated that its his fault or something?
I can't say its genuine or not when I was buying it he stated that its genuine.
As for dealer I don't know he said that exedy aren't good clutches. And in his opinion subaru using valeo clutches. It's not my opinion its his words.
My opinion is fact. I have slipping clutch wich was sold to me like exedy organic racing clutch. It's slipping after 18k km. Clutch was installed by all instructions wich came with clutch
.if dave interpreted how he what to. So its his problem. tell me how posible fit wrong if using instructions wich came with clutch?

O.k. Federal thanks for clarifying that you are not accusing anyone
You may mention names if you like
Cheers Colm :thumbsup:

dealer is wrong.

exedy/daiken clutches are oem.

later in some models was Sachs.

and again you need remove and inspect and take it from there

Back