ecutek v simtek v solaris v ......

mac mac

ISDC Club Member
jus wondering can anyone justify the price/performance difference between the fore mentioned ecu mapping of newage subaru's ?

so hypateiclly we have two newage sti impreza's with the exact same mods . what advanteges do the dearer remaps have , not the technical advantages but more the results your will recieve , more in the bhp/trq figures and quite importantly driveability ?
for sake , will a solaris get you "30" extra horspower over ecutek with same mods ? and are you getting bang for buck ?

any stories / experiences welcome .

i dont think any ecu will get you more bhp than another.

i think difference is in features and reliability.

Main differences are in processing power and how quick they can react if something goes wrong
also features are different

as said one wont really give more power than another as far as i know

ecutek would be say entry level,then simtek sorta mid range then solaris now rebranded syvecs would be high end not only do you need to decide the ecu by the correct mapper as if you get someone not high regarded in the subaru circle you will end up with shoddy maps but you know all that ross,you will need to factor in your budget if you can streach you should go with the syvecs which are the best sellling ecu for subarus in the uk im the only one running one in the republic,a syvec package will run you about 1700/1800 gbp and thats just a kinda basic set up supplied fitted and mapped approx is it worth ityes, in my case it has some many functions there to avail of which i use,depending on when your thinking of goin ahead i have a uk mapper coming over nxt month to map a few cars so you could meey up and discuss options with him if you wanted hes very familiar with all ecus and can offer real value for money and faultless maps top boy in the uk working on all high end subarus and looks after lots of time attack cars and other tuners rcm/bananna to name a few!!

intresting reading , i was under the impression that the higher end stuff could produce/extract more power from the car , how wrong i was . so if power is not the differentiating factor, and features and reliability are , what are these features?, and do i need them ??
so by now you all know im gonna be looking for roughly 400 ponies (there or there abouts ) and am trying to justify paying nearly 2g's(syvec) over 400 hundred yoyo's (ecutek tweak/fresh map) in ecu reflashing to suit my mods .

then to complicate it further open source and esl (i think) are un-licensend remapping options . how do these compare ?

head wrecked .com trying to pick the "best" route !

considering its a daily driver ! main things i would want from it would be twin maps which as far as im aware can be done with ecutek megarom and flat foot shifting is also available .

@ hammie , "when things go wrong " can you elabourate your thoughts on this matter ?

@al cheers for offer , might just drop up . dont think i would have the need for so many options , just ones mentioned above in this post .
whos the mapper coming over ?(pm if you prefer)

From my understanding, they don't give you more horse power as such but allow you to run more with the same setup. For example, the syvecs will have much better boost control than a standard ecutek so you can map it closer to the edge with higher boost without having to compensate as much for hot versus cold days and you therefore get a little more power. Open to correction but that was my understanding.

To be honest Ross, 400 is savage but if it was me in your shoes, I don't think I could justify over 2k for an ecu that will make only minimal difference to power. At those levels, ecutek or the other options you've mentioned are perfectly capable so you'd basically he paying 2k for antilag :eek7:

syvecs offers you as you probably know 8 different switchable maps al/lc and the many features are unlocked ready to go so say you want simtec isint it extra for al/lc sure at that stage ur not far from a syvecs.

the syvecs comes with an inlet temp sensor,your gauges can be wired into syvecs to monitior oil pressure/water temp,oil temp ect and can be set up so that if a drop in oil pressure is detected ecu will go to safe mode and protect your engine same for fuel pressure thats 2 of many examples theres advanced knock detection and so much more ecu comes witha cal switch so no need to access the ecu to swap maps just put in correct fuel and turn knob to preset map the list goes on......

Does yours have electronic throttle or is it cable operated Ross? if cable then afaik you cant have flatfoot shifting! if its electronic then yes and you can also get the blip throttle on the down change and possibly L/C aswell (i think)

Ecutek
•Fuelling.
•Ignition Timing and Ignition Compensation.
•Boost Pressure & Wastegate Control Maps.
•Boost Limit.
•Turbo Dynamics Control.
•Boost Pressure Based Speed Limiting.
•Maximum Speed Limit Removal.
•Rev Limit.
•Air Flow Sensor Scaling.
•Fuel Injector Scaling.
•Exhaust Gas Temp. Warning Threshold.
•And many more...

Simtek
•MAF Less System
•Real Time Live Mapping
•Fully Plug ‘n’ Play
•Inbuilt Advanced Turbo Control
•Multiple Maps
•Knock Warning
•Closed Loop Fuel Control
•OEM Driveability
•Anti Lag System
•Launch Control
•Gear Change Output (Shift Light)
•Multi Stage Engine Speed Limiter
•Individual Cylinder Fuel & Ignition Trims
•Automatic Water Spray / Injection Control

Syvecs s6gp
4 Individual Ignition and Fuel maps
Fully sequential control of fueling and timing.
Batch firing and wasted spark ignition.
Individual cylinder TDC definition
Idle control, closed or open loop
Cam control, closed or open loop, up to 4 camshafts.
Rpm limit : 20000 RPM
Fully configurable Data logging with individual choice of logging channels and frequencies.
Fully mappable Wastegate control, with gear dependent boost maps.
Launch Control - Retard and Fuel cut strategies.
Traction control - Fully programmable slip targets.
Drive by wire
Knock control - Basic retard standard, fully mappable an optional extra.
Full throttle shift cut - Open and closed loop, full programmable
Anti lag - 4 ALS Calibrations, EGT dependency, Jacked open throttle idle control, ALS Initiation strategy.
Full 3D mappable Nitrous control, Wet and dry systems.
Crankshaft/Cam Signal Oscilloscope with sync loss capture
User Programmable linearization of all sensor inputs.
Battery Voltage compensations
Upgradeable firmware
CAN Bus interface
Configurable I/O
Hall & VR Crank/Cam sensor compatible

If i was buying again i'd be saving for the syvecs Ross, Al's right you pay extra for features on simtek.
•ALS/Launch RRP £150
•Map sensor (3Bar) RRP £75
•Customer prog kit RRP £85
•3 port boost solenoid RRP £75

There's still nothing available to outperform Motec M800 i.m.o Syvecs are only playing catch up feature wise. Ecutek will do everything the o p requires.

how much does a motec m800 cost new supply fit and map?are the features unlocked ready to use or additional costs involved per add on ect

al , saftey features are a incentive alright but do i need them ,and are they woth the 2g price tag of which wouldnt be far off the price of a rebuild should things go south .the 8 switchable maps i feel i would have no need for , what i would want is two different maps (1 power, 2 eco ) which can be switched over and back through the heater switch (phils car ) and he also has flat foot shifting .

am i right in thinking the ecutek also has some kind of safety feature as when it rains heavily , it seems my induction may be inhaling some , and sometimes , only sometimes when boot is planted , car will just say NO and will throw you forward in seat . im guessing this is a saftey feature similar to what has been mentioned above .

@robbie , hear what your saying and tbh al and lc are more toys than neccascery's , and am quite happy with the pops i already have so pushing more to what i already have .

@ nic i believe its cable so flat foot would be another "toy" but on ecutek which is another plus for it . phil in his prodrive bug has this and another ex member in his jeep which he thinks is very good . lc is also an option on afaik .but atm im more into the efectivness of it rather than the toys which accompany it . abiet however desirable they are .

tbh the more i read the more the syvesc seems to suit top spec or even motor sport veichles to which i am definatly not .

@scubbay ,opinion noted

so im thinking ecutek megarom , with possible lc and flat foot shifting is what will suit me best . i d LOVe to have syvecs or even a motec but i feel im jus day dreaming and out of my league in price and performance needs !

[quote author=Animal spec-c link=topic=34243.msg393035#msg393035 date=1335963595]
how much does a motec m800 cost new supply fit and map?are the features unlocked ready to use or additional costs involved per add on ect
[/quote]

i asked about this before,and any extra like anti lag lc is extra cost,syvecs ecu has it already

my opion is syvecs is better pound for pound to motec with out the label

[quote author=p1impreza link=topic=34243.msg393041#msg393041 date=1335967106]
[quote author=Animal spec-c link=topic=34243.msg393035#msg393035 date=1335963595]
[/quote]

i asked about this before,and any extra like anti lag lc is extra cost,syvecs ecu has it already

[/quote]

thats the point i was maken how much are they new 2-3kgbp??+vat plus mapping/set up extras= very expensive

By when things go wrong i mean the likes of a more powerful processor in the higher end ecus should detect knock etc quicker and react to it quicker also

as far as im asare the likes of the power fc is only an 8bit processor
however the syvecs is either 16 or 32 bit processor thus giving it a quicker rwaction. time

[quote author=Animal spec-c link=topic=34243.msg393043#msg393043 date=1335969207]
[quote author=p1impreza link=topic=34243.msg393041#msg393041 date=1335967106]
[/quote]

[/quote]

thats the point i was maken how much are they new 2-3kgbp??+vat plus mapping/set up extras= very expensive
[/quote]

their 2.5k new i think,
as you said your better with syvecs,as simtek does have its issues with sart up procedure

the power fc imo is old school and not really heard of anymore,if i was in your shoes ross and with the spec list you posted the other day id defo go with a decent ecu with some nice features to boot and syvecs seems the way forward and not a whole lot more than simtek when spending the money you already have on this build :thumbsup:

Back