Any Legacys with McIntosh stereo system?

kaybee

I'm looking for anyone with the McIntosh system fitted to their Legacy to see if they have the same trouble as I have - lousy reception and interference? :dunno:
As a jap import, it obviously had the lower FM waveband tuned rather than the higher 88.0 to 108.0 that we're used to in Ireland, so I got one of those FM band-extenders that ups the reception band from the jap range to our own. But the reception is absolutely crap, and when driving around I constantly get 'bleed' from local stations on top of the tuned station.
I'm sure this McIntosh system is good quality but I wonder is the problem with the wave-extender I got fitted or is it the fact there is no traditional aerial (antenna) on the car....
Result is, all I listen to is CD but I'm interested to know if anyone else has the same unit with or without similar hassle? :?

Thanks!
Kieran

I have one but i havent once listened to the radio!! it is a quailty system ..McIntosh make bespoke stereo gear and its damned expensive..probably an issue with your ariel?

ive a sony unit in mine and ive the same probs,i cant get 2fm properly on the m50 around sanyford and a lot of the time i have a lousey signal

Had this problem in both my impreza's. its down to the crap aerials in Subarus. What the guy did in Halfords was put in one of them rubber aerials. Its about a foot and a half long. Just plug it into the radio and leave it stuffed in behind the dash. Works like a dream :thumbsup:

[quote author=kanye from the west link=topic=3951.msg42140#msg42140 date=1192741840]
I got the aerial free but i'd say 10 or 15 euro
[/quote]

@ Kayne from the west

Can you describe the aerial that you got from halfords? Is it an external aerial? Does it need to be grounded?

I've the McIntosh radio, got the converter and reception was shoite.

Got a large rubber aerial, meant to be an external aerial, grounded it and it was working fine but when I stuffed it behind the dash the signal was terrible.

Then I got an electric aerial, wired it, grounded it and stuck it on the inside of my front window. Reception is worse than the aerial I had originally (back window). What a waste of time!

Could it be a dodgy convertor? Any ideas lads?

Thanks
Alan

Mine was just a rubber aerial about 16" long and just plugged straight into where the aerial goes at the back of the head unit. It wasnt grounded.

is it just a universal band expander you get? Need one on my BL5 legacy. are they hard to fit? any linky for me?

Dan,

Pretty simple to fit the band expander. Hardest part is removing the radio, some awkward screws to get at!

Once the radio is out, you'll find the aerial lead is split, a little fiddly but connect the expander between this line and you're away! :subaru:

Hope your aerial is better than mine!! I've tried everything now, was over in Halfords but couldn't get an aerial that doesn't need to be grounded.Tried an electric aerial mounted to front windscreen, no joy! Thinking of trying a sharkfin aerial or maybe changing the headunit now.

Nothin more annoying than fuzz coming out of your speakers! :wall:

dan

you said bl5 ? right ?.....if so your standard ariel connection wont fit ,it has a twin forked plug with 2 wires coming out of it.

Yes BL5, ill have a mess around with it once i get used to the car. There's also a Panasonic Navigation system in it, must try find the model number and get the right software for it. Im farily handy with ICE installs, had done a lot to my last 2 cars, dont really wanna have a that in this car though. Just get everything that in it working properly

Not sure which is the aerial connection? Here's a picture of the back of my headunit:
dsc00948gz1.jpg

And the connector that i think is for the aerial(this comes out of the back of the headunit), very different to what i thought it would be like

dsc00949ol4.jpg

the wire on the left is the aerial lead coming out of the head unit , i turned on the radio with this connected then disconnected and it lost signal, so its definitely the one. but how to connect this to a band expander? This link:
http://www.dominoelectronics.com/assets/dominoprodlist_nov07.pdf

has listed a male and female leads for Subaru which have similar looking connections to my aerial lead. These would give me a round aerial connection which i presume then connects to the band expander. Not a 100% certain

Back