Subaru has an NCT again - The Big Thanks Thread

STiBrian

Octane Boostaholics
Well the nct was heading for 3 years out of date so decided it was time to sort something out...thank christ I did as my insurance renewal came in & they told me they wanted a copy of the nct cert before they would insure me again :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

Firstly thanks to Ciaran RS RA as always for sorting me out with the jobs that needed doing. It wasn't simple with bolts causing trouble on the decat downpipe, followed by my nearly new lambda sensor having already welded itself to the downpipe too. Big thanks to Jamie for loaning me the lambda which he then donated (for a fee to be paid yet) as the threads were knackered on his lambda & Ciaran said he'd get it in the pipe but unlikely to come back out again.

Then moving on to the rear brakes which had finally made their way to metal-on-metal after the mountain run on the last bank holiday. Ciaran was going to fit new discs & pads but it turned out that one of the pistons was seized solid, pushed back about 2mm & wouldn't go any further. Big thanks to Keith555 for travelling over to Blanchardstown to meet up with me & give me his calipers, discs and pads. They didn't fit in the end but wasn't the end of the world. Ciaran managed to squeeze a set of very worn pads back into my calipers with just enough pad to ensure no metal-on-metal problems for the nct last night.

So sure enough despite all the odds being stacked against me the car breezed thru the nct last night & I have a further shopping list to get the car back to perfect in the near future. First up is fully reconditioned calipers with new discs & pads.

Cheers again Ciaran, Jamie & Keith :clap:

Great news Brian :653:
and well done to the lads :clap: :clap:
Scoobyturbo was looking for a set of rear brakes if you dont need those ones and if they fit his :thumbsup:

jesus what a struggle that turned out to be , glad your sorted now , fairplay to Ciaran as well he always sorts the most akward jobs , fairplay to jamie and keith 2

Glad I could help Brian... And delighted she sailed through no bother.

Some hardship for you all the same... but at least it all came good in the end for you.

No better feeling of knowing you dont need to see those pack of robbers for another year or two :thumbsup:

Fair play guys :clap: :clap:,

Scooby community :icon_pidu:

Congrats brian hoping to have my own nct next month over a year out now rusted arch on the back airbag light to be re wired to somthing and breaks are shot so hoping thats it
What size those rear breaks need discs and pads if they fit il take them off you :thumbsup:

Fair play lads for helping brian out :clap:

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=34202.msg392439#msg392439 date=1335652338]
Fair play lads, well done to all involved :clap: :clap: :clap:

And to think, all that you end up with is a piece of paper :icon_rolleyes:
[/quote]

A peace of paper that shows your car is road worthy. Did my forester and impreza this month and both went through thank god. Have her punto next month. Must book it in.

Well done lads. :subaru:

Hello Brian,

Congrats on getting your Scooby through :subaru:

& Fair play to all the lads for their help :clap:

True Club Spirit :subaru:

Cheers,

Michael

[quote author=EricSTi link=topic=34202.msg392472#msg392472 date=1335697918]
A peace of paper that shows your car is road worthy.
[/quote]

If that was true Eric, I wouldn't have a problem but when you see some of the muck that passes, an nct really means nothing except a little less hassle if stopped at a checkpoint.

Like in the case of testing shocks, i know of one car that passed its nct with 2 shocks completely gone, so far gone that there was no sign of oil anymore so couldn't be failed on a visual. And then passed the imbalance test as well because they were both completely seized there was no difference between them. So he got a 2 year nct on his death trap of a car.. Wouldn't class that as road worthy..

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=34202.msg392503#msg392503 date=1335722770]i know of one car that passed its nct with 2 shocks completely gone, so far gone that there was no sign of oil anymore so couldn't be failed on a visual. And then passed the imbalance test as well because they were both completely seized there was no difference between them. So he got a 2 year nct on his death trap of a car.. Wouldn't class that as road worthy..
[/quote]

Point taken. :ico

[quote author=scoobyturbo link=topic=34202.msg392470#msg392470 date=1335696570]
Congrats brian hoping to have my own nct next month over a year out now rusted arch on the back airbag light to be re wired to somthing and breaks are shot so hoping thats it
What size those rear breaks need discs and pads if they fit il take them off you :thumbsup:

Fair play lads for helping brian out :clap:
[/quote]

They're 266mm discs which are the same on all classic imprezas (bar the 2 pots on late type r & ra's). But they're the 93-97 fitment non-ventilated discs. If they fit you can have them.

well in on getting your cert sir !

wellin to the lads for sorting you out .

possibly give godspeed a shout for new brake bits .

Considering my options at the moment with the brakes

Godspeed are £175 for reconditioning the rear calipers. A further £110 for new discs & pads too (not a bad price in fairness).

May consider brembos all round & sell off my ksports at a reasonable price...decisions decisions :ponder:

fair play to all involved good to have it done,brian would you maybe consider newage 2 pot calipers and you can keep your own wheels which i think suit your car :thumbsup:

Its an option alright Gordon but unless they've been freshly rebuilt too I could be wasting money.No real benefit to 2 pots in terms of braking performance

Back