changing springs

jaskin71

Sunday Drivers
hi lads, i would like to change springs on my 01 bug :049: to get her lower. its hard to do it or diy job?
thx jiri :afro:

its awkward more than hard.... you need spring compressors as the compression in the springs when the top mounts are on can be dangerous. plus personally i wouldnt trust the compressors you can get in halfords, seen them go horribly wrong before.
removing the struts and fitting them again when the spring is replaced is the easy part.

like every job, with the right tools, the job is made easier. if your in ANY doubt i would get a pro to do it for you, as if they are not fitting right in the hats and mounts when you go to drive it for the first time, the thoughts of what can happen are horrible.

any more questions, feel free :thumbsup:

yeah i agree, its just a bit long winded more than hard........ done it two times now, i got a set of Draper compressors from my local motor factors, chunky as hell, and seemed to do the job well,

but you have to be carefull, the potential energy stored in some springs is NUTS! :shock2:, kill you stone dead if i goes wrong

Mark the front bottom camber bolts so you can replace roughly the same position. This will make the drve to get your tracking done a bit safer. But do get it tracked as soon as.

Back