Smell from engine bay.

johnjoe64

Petrolheads
Hi Folks on the motorway today clear road ahead so I was tiping along at 4000rpm in fifth doing a decent wack now when I pulled over to get petrol there was a strong smell from the engine bay now its being there before and I asked Wagon Dec and he thought that it may be because my engine is slightly wet small leak from a crank shaft seal and it could be just oil burning off what do you guys think. Thanks.

im guessing its the burning oil thats leaking out of the crankshaft seal, i would get that replaced if i were you. Can you see where the oil is leaking from?

More than likely it's leaky rocker seals dripping down onto exhaust headers... several Imprezas I've had have suffered from this.

Thanks Lads Wagon Dec is aware of the leak but its not a big leak will be doing timing belt soon so will replace seal then.

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=34142.msg391750#msg391750 date=1335264824]
More than likely it's leaky rocker seals dripping down onto exhaust headers... several Imprezas I've had have suffered from this.
[/quote]

X2 , unless its the front crank seal on the oil pump and dripping straight down onto the headers and burning. I doubt the rear crankseal would cause a smell that you would notice

Did you figure out what this is yet? Just wondering because my old WRX seems to leak something when left idle for a while - when the engine warms up and I lift the bonnet there is black smoke coming out of left side of engine just in front of where turbo is - it goes away after a few minutes so I assume it's some slow leak dripping onto some surface that gets hot and then burns it - can also smell the burning in car when vents are blowing air in so i don't know how it's getting into ventilation system. Is it big job/expensive to diagnose repair these sort of leaks?

[quote author=geogan link=topic=34142.msg392600#msg392600 date=1335784276]
Did you figure out what this is yet? Just wondering because my old WRX seems to leak something when left idle for a while - when the engine warms up and I lift the bonnet there is black smoke coming out of left side of engine just in front of where turbo is - it goes away after a few minutes so I assume it's some slow leak dripping onto some surface that gets hot and then burns it - can also smell the burning in car when vents are blowing air in so i don't know how it's getting into ventilation system. Is it big job/expensive to diagnose repair these sort of leaks?
[/quote]

Probably more than likely your drivers side cam cover leaking down onto the up pipe. Gaskets are cheap enough and you can do it yourself easily enough. Use some decent gasket sealer on the fresh gasket as they have a tendency to leak if you dont

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=34142.msg392607#msg392607 date=1335785859]
[/quote]

Probably more than likely your drivers side cam cover leaking down onto the up pipe. Gaskets are cheap enough and you can do it yourself easily enough. Use some decent gasket sealer on the fresh gasket as they have a tendency to leak if you dont
[/quote]

Well I hope to God it is just a cheap and easy-to-fix gasket that's gone and not some major engine trouble... just want to fix it to sell the car... still have to diagnose location of leak - not easy for me to do...

[quote author=geogan link=topic=34142.msg392616#msg392616 date=1335793193]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well I hope to God it is just a cheap and easy-to-fix gasket that's gone and not some major engine trouble... just want to fix it to sell the car... still have to diagnose location of leak - not easy for me to do...
[/quote]

Just a case of jacking the car up, taking down the undertray and having a look takes 5 minutes

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=34142.msg392620#msg392620 date=1335794685]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just a case of jacking the car up, taking down the undertray and having a look takes 5 minutes
[/quote]

Problem is I have a morbid fear of being crushed to death by car up on jacks collapsing on top of me :icon_hang: - even though i bought a large hydraulic trolley type jack and jack stands I don't like the idea of going underneath it at all :boohoo:

[quote author=geogan link=topic=34142.msg392629#msg392629 date=1335797437]
[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=34142.msg392620#msg392620 date=1335794685]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Problem is I have a morbid fear of being crushed to death by car up on jacks collapsing on top of me :icon_hang: - even though i bought a large hydraulic trolley type jack and jack stands I don't like the idea of going underneath it at all :boohoo:
[/quote]

Right . Pay someone to put it on a ramp lol

Ok... go down to yourlocal hardware store, and buy 4 cement blocks, Jack the car up high and put 2 blocks on the flat under each wheel and let the car down onto them, same as car being on the ground then so no need to be a PUSSY :)

depends where you go
heard of a garage in dublin today charging 175 euro + vat per hour labour :icon_hang: :icon_hang:
wasnt a subaru dealer its one of the germans :sucks:
im sure traders on here charge a lot less than that :subaru:

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=34142.msg392725#msg392725 date=1335817799]
Is it not only about €50 to get it done in a garage anyway?
[/quote]

[quote author=KENC link=topic=34142.msg392665#msg392665 date=1335809661]
Ok... go down to yourlocal hardware store, and buy 4 cement blocks, Jack the car up high and put 2 blocks on the flat under each wheel and let the car down onto them, same as car being on the ground then so no need to be a PUSSY :)
[/quote]

Ha ha you must think i live in a big country house with my own driveway and garage to be able to store 4 cavity blocks! Apartment with communal parking out front makes it hard to do any work in private or store bricks! :icon_grin:

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=34142.msg392725#msg392725 date=1335817799]
Is it not only about €50 to get it done in a garage anyway?
[/quote]

In my experience, some garages even the so called simple jobs end up costing a fortune because they charge stupid prices, make up cost of parts and try to rip off anyone they think they can get away with. I did tell you how much one tried to charge me to replace two cam sensors... every time i ring them for quotes thinking surely this won't cost much i get a shock and have to hang up.

[quote author=geogan link=topic=34142.msg392744#msg392744 date=1335820843]
[quote author=KENC link=topic=34142.msg392665#msg392665 date=1335809661]
[/quote]

Ha ha you must think i live in a big country house with my own driveway and garage to be able to store 4 cavity blocks! Apartment with communal parking out front makes it hard to do any work in private or store bricks! :icon_grin:

[/quote]
sure just do what every other apartment living city scanger does, when your finished put them through someones windows...... chhhhhhhhhhinggggggggggggg :multijump:

Back