Camshaft Position Sensor

geogan

Petrolheads
Hi,

Yesterday Check Engine Light came on - checked it when I came home with OBDII cable and code was:

P0365 Camshaft Position Sensor B Bank 1

I just checked Micks Garage and they have these for about €40

http://www.micksgarage.ie/switches-sensors/camshaft-position-sensor/subaru/impreza/impreza-saloon/2000-onwards/2.0-wrx-sti/16316/

but when I rand Carroll & Roche to see about genuine ones he said they were €200 inc VAT each NOT including labour to fit them and since there are two of them it would be over €400 with labour.

Surely the ones from Micks Garage would do the job and I hear it's not too much of a job to fit them is it?

I had a bugeye one time that used to throw up the cam sensor code even do sensor was ok, used to get it cancelled and drive on again for another while. Try Importcarparts

The Check engine light was no longer on this morning so maybe it is an intermittant problem. Anyway I'm not going to go spending over 400 on it right now - better things to do with the little money I have...

I've seen that code come up from timing being out.
But only if sensors are ok
Just a thought...

I might have to change that sensor - i notice the CEL on again this morning - have to check the code to see if its the same one this evening. Might get that genuine part from uk site - if i have to change it i'd prefer new one. Also don't know if it's driver side or passenger side one that's dodgy. It might be the cable connecting it that's dodgy or loose - it appears you don't get a new cable with the sensor - don't want to be buying a new sensor if old one is working and cable is dodgy. Also still have to figure out where it is - even with the STI service manual diagram i couldn't see either of them in engine - might be an awful job to do - i hear may be covered by AVCS...
Also it does seem strange that this sensor is supposedly not working correctly given it is a magnetic type sensor with no moving parts that doesn't get contaminated like an o2 sensor would.

I have located the camsensor on the driver side - it's at front of engine underneath the oil. I know the passenger side sensor is in same position on other side but there is WAY more crap all around it on that side so I can't see it exactly. I'm going to buy new sensor from UK site but first I am going to do an experiment to see which sensor is causing CEL. I'm going to reset the CEL using OBDII and then physically disconnect the driver side sensor and run engine to see how it feels and drives and see if same CEL comes on (P0365 right now). If a different CEL comes on i'll know it's the other side dodgy. It appears to be intermittent anyway because when i clear CEL it usually takes a day or two for it to light up again. Physically unplugging it should make it happen immediately, and i want to see if i dnotice a difference in engine while driving without it. Anyone see any reason why i shouldn't do this experiment? Could this problem have anything to do with my current general NCT emmissions failure and high fuel usage? - i think it could myself if sensor was permanently gone.

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=34113.msg393037#msg393037 date=1335964617]
I can lend you a sensor man if you want to diagnose which side it is ?
[/quote]

Thanks, I think my experiment will tell me - if i get same error code P0365 I know i pulled correct one out.

Looking at US subaru forum "this code deals with AVCS as well, so if it's not advancing then you may have something going on with the AVCS solenoid" - is this true? I know nothing about AVCS...
"that code is more likely due to a clogged AVCS banjo bolt filter, if you haven't had those removed"

Also US site: "I never found the cause, although the code has not come back. I still chalk it up to humid conditions and a poor connection. I highly doubt this would be related to your exhaust. The EJ207's have 2 cam shaft position sensors, one is on the USDM drivers side near the cam gear, and the other is behind the green fuel rail guard of doom on the pass. side near the back.
"

They also said: "In talking to a Subie tech (who has only worked on USDM engines) he mentioned timing belt stretch could be the culprit."

Also mentioned "contact cleaner" for sensors - anyone know where to get this stuff?

And on another note - why do these codes make it seem like there are THREE sensors somewhere in three locations ... :ponder:

P0345 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Bank 2
P0365 Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit (Bank 1)
P0390 Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit (Bank 2)

sensor is there if you need it.As regards the contact cleaner maplin will have it

Back