Brake issue

moro_46

Sunday Drivers
Well i changed my brake discs and pads on the b4 on saturday. done this before on other cars and everything was ok. the subaru was very straight forward.only thing was no locating screw for the discs but ill be ok..everythin was running fine with a days driving done and last night it all started to go wrong..basiclly the passenger side feels like its sticking and its wearing alot quicker than the driver side and the smell of brakes is rotten..i looked at the brakes after my drive to work this morning and the troubled side looked like it had been on fire with the colour of the disk! on the way home it was fine..brakers are workin fine. wonder wat could be causing the excessive wear? sticking?

sticking caliper piston.

overhaul rebuild kit with all new seals and x8 pistons is e175.

better doing that then buying another second hand where risk of same thing.

[quote author=B4orAfter link=topic=34060.msg390811#msg390811 date=1334604129]
new caliper so!
[/quote]

Have one there if your looking

i concur!!

get the caliper off, and get a set of grips over the pistons and see if you can turn them, see if one is harder to spin than the others! also take the caliper off but leave it connected, press the brakes a bit so the piston comes out a bit, then squeeze it in with the grips, then repeat, that can help but won't solve it in the long term, but don't press the piston out too faror it can pop out :icon_biggrin:

sounds like new seals and maybe a piston are in order if its pitted

if its a 2 pot standard a caliper will be peanuts

even if its a 4 pot caliper a seal kit is what €20? and a single piston can be bought off ebay nice and cheap

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=34060.msg390820#msg390820 date=1334604407]
Four pots on the front of this?
[/quote]

Actually thats a good question. Thats what i was assuming.

If its 2 pots then a second hand caliper be easiest i would think.

Nope just the original 2 pot on it..goin away to america soon so wasn gona splash out on 4 pots and big discs! every euro counts...it was never like this before..just since last night it started acting up!

[quote author=Barru Breakers link=topic=34060.msg390834#msg390834 date=1334605157]
caliper there e35

[/quote] cheers pal appreciate it

[quote author=B4orAfter link=topic=34060.msg390833#msg390833 date=1334605076]
sounndddddddd lads!! baz u have been PMd
[/quote]

Never got a pm man

Sometimes if you have let the pads wear down far, when you change pads you can have this, or if you have a nick in the dust boot can let water in and you can have a bit of corrasion..
Try what Goosie said, what you are trying to do is get piston out as far as you can and then pushing it back into the last, doing this a few times may remove and mark thats on piston from being out far with wore pads... or If you take the dust boot off, and remove the piston, sometimes you can buy some time or solve problem with a bit of a clean up, depending on extent of pitting corrosion etc etc, Clean up piston and bore with say p1000 sand paper, and give it a good wash with some petrol, and reassemble.

well after drivin it today it seems to be fine and no more smelly brakes and no noise of scraping..ill keep a very close eye on it tho! cheers for the advice tho lads

I put two brand new front discs on that car 2 months before you bought it. Why change them? No way are they worn already. And it also got pads front and back at the same time. Thats not even a year ago.

[quote author=B4 soon link=topic=34060.msg390970#msg390970 date=1334692752]
I put two brand new front discs on that car 2 months before you bought it. Why change them? No way are they worn already. And it also got pads front and back at the same time. Thats not even a year ago.
[/quote] They always squealed and recked my head and pads were worn! that car has been goin strong evry day since i got her....im not rich enough like urself to have 2 cars :multijump:

Back