95 WRX low idle and spluttery

scoobyluver

Hi guys ,

newto the site but not new to the subaru world as this is my second. Im having issues with a 95 wrx iv recently bought when the car idling and also when driving.

When i start the car it idles up and down between 300-900 rpm if i tap the accelerator it idles normally until i move the car using the clutch and as im moving the car in gear it splutters and needs a bit of encouragement to move more than the required norm, once above 2000 rpm it drives as per normal but when i come to a stop again it idles rough again. also when im driving it feels as if the throttle is sticking at low revs around the 1500rpm to 2500rpm range when i hit turbo it just takes off like a bullet.

Key points iv checked as follows

No knocking or banging noise's apart from occasional backfire after gearchange
petrol coming from exhaust while sitting in the yard idling so i presume same when driving
aftermarket airfilter bodged on but no leaks apart from a blocked vent for a pipe which sumbody blocked with a socket ( i sorted this no air leak from here either )
all air pipes are mint no rips or breaks
no oil leaks or coolant leaks
there is one thing though that comes to mind.... the exhaust runs straight from the cat the whole way back to the bumper with no muffler just an exhaust cover pics to follow tomorrow as im here scratching my head :dontknow:

Tomorrow im going to clean out everything related to the airflow system including intercooler related items.
check plugs and leads etc etc
I dont think its the coil pack either as it does'nt feel like it is

What im wondering has anyone else come across a similar issue to mine??? as im thinking its maybe an issue with the cat or the 02 sensor but wont have time to check that until the weekend.

One more thing that comes to mind is that this car has not been driven in quite a while i reckon over 12 months as the dash was so faded it was nearly white which i have now sorted :lol: but im thinking maybe its the petrol that was left in the tank was gone stale as it would with say a lawnmower etc etc

Anyway i really hope somebody can help me out on this any help will be greatly appreciated..

Mnay thanks in advance guys

:subaru:

I would take a guess that your idle control valve is faulty. You might get away with cleaning it out with carb cleaner or petrol. You also could have a small vacuum leak. Places to check are in arond the inlet manifold especially the small pipe connected to the fuel pressure regulator.

Also there would not be fuel coming from the exhaust on idle ,its condensation so nothing to worry about

Hope that helps man.

Thanks a million baz that had crossed my mind as it maybe sticking a bit will try that 1st in the morning along with my shuddering brakes issue and all the other things iv gota sort on this car as to be honest it was'nt minded by its previous owner and im determined to bring this car back to its former glory.

[quote author=scoobyluver link=topic=33985.msg389764#msg389764 date=1334015632]
Thanks a million baz that had crossed my mind as it maybe sticking a bit will try that 1st in the morning along with my shuddering brakes issue and all the other things iv gota sort on this car as to be honest it was'nt minded by its previous owner and im determined to bring this car back to its former glory.
[/quote]

Sure if your near dublin and you need a hand with it let me know

Im in limerick dude but i know my way around these cars quite a lot as i rebuilt my 97 sti from the ground up 4 yrs ago. But thanks for the offer :icon_pray:

[quote author=scoobyluver link=topic=33985.msg389767#msg389767 date=1334016400]
Im in limerick dude but i know my way around these cars quite a lot as i rebuilt my 97 sti from the ground up 4 yrs ago. But thanks for the offer :icon_pray:
[/quote]

Cool man sure you know what your at so :thumbsup:

Back