What is the widest wheel possible you can put on a gc8?

duffmancb

Sunday Drivers
this might be stupid question but i seen a fairly standard gc8 before on the rs25 forum with 18x10 wheels and only using wheel spacers is it possible to do this without any serious modifications?

Thanks.

Depends on offset, but saying that anything over 9` will take work...
My new wheels are 8.5 wide but high offset so will need additional work to fit

You must live on good roads, if you lived where i do you would not be putting then anywhere a car.

Such wide rims on a classic will destroy your wheel bearins as classics are renowned for having ones like butter.

what would be a more reasonable size i currently have 17x7 i want something bigger but not so much bigger that i have alot of hassle with it.
cheers. :thumbsup:

7.5... possibly up to 8... but with 8 you may need stretched tyres or rolled arches depending on how low your car sits. :ponder2:

I've 18 x 8 speedlines with et35... pic shown below... and you can see how far they stick out on a standard classic arch. These wil be getting used on a wide arched car so they won't be an issue. Even if you go for a 40-45 offset, I'm sure can see how far they would still stick out.... and they may also foul on your front inner flitches when on full lock. :doh:

Jamie
That's the same offset as my new wheels.
Was almost afraid of what they would be like so haven't put them near the car yet.
You just confirmed my worst fears lol

Lots and lorded work to do to fit them lol

The wider you go with the wheel, it will really affect the handling (in a negative way) on the type r.

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=33943.msg389318#msg389318 date=1333714135]
approx 25mm to be exact.
[/quote]

Thats a good one :1poke: :icon_lol:

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=33943.msg389318#msg389318 date=1333714135]
Yeah... they stick out pretty far... especailly if an 8" rim Hammie... approx 25mm to be exact. :smokin:
[/quote]
So with a 8.5inch rim I'll be looking at slightly more :icon_hang:
It will be worth it when its done lol

Wide wheels do effect handling, so that is a drawback!

so say if I went with a 18x9 with et 30 it would obviously stick out alot but would there be also tire rub on the inside? Sorry for all the qestions I'm new to all these wheel terms :ponder2:

The lower the et number, basically the further out the rim will sit...
Ie I think standard et off set on subaru is 48 so et30 is 18 mil further out on the same width rim...

[quote author=Hammie link=topic=33943.msg389378#msg389378 date=1333744314]
The lower the et number, basically the further out the rim will sit...
Ie I think standard et off set on subaru is 48 so et30 is 18 mil further out on the same width rim...
[/quote]
thats not really true hammie it depends on wether the rim has + or - offset a positive offset will kick a rim out a negative will take the rim in toward the shock take a look at the diagram below. you need to measure the inner arch from the arch lip into the side of the shock that is the width of rim that will fit without mods, then measure from the the shock to the face of the wheel hub that is your offset ,where the wheel face sit on the rim will tell you whether the offset is + or -

that diagram helped alot thanks. does anybody know if there will be tyre rub or does that completely depend on the size of tyre? :thumbsup:

all depends tyre size man basically with the right mods any size can be fitted just depends what look your after and what handling trade off you can put up with

i have 17" 7.5 on my wagon not sure of the off set but i had to roll my rear arch's to stop them rubbing i have a 215 45 on them, they seem to be spot on fitment wise now just a few mill off the arch all round

Back