Need help with steering

kbox

Octane Boostaholics
Just looking for some help with my steering. A few months back my car was broken into and nearly taken on me. I went to try and straighten the steering over the weekend thinking it would be easy enough to do. I was very wrong I think.

Due to the damage done by the potential and now nearly crippled car thieves my steering wheel is not sitting centered anymore but turned to the left even though the wheels are straight. I initially thought the bracket holding the column might be the problem so I tried to straighten it.

My question is could the steering column be damaged and if so how difficult is it to replace?

Thanks

I think there maybe a screw on the steering wheel that you can loosen to straighten the wheel back up.I remember it happend to my dads car years back but there was no airbag in it dont know if its the same with airbag :dunno:

I've tried removing the steering wheel and the airbag, thats easy enough to do. There is a nut holding the steering wheel onto the column. But the steering wheel has to align to an arrow on the boss underneath. This is fixed onto the column and wont turn or come of. Maybe I'm not going about it in the correct manner?

When the nut is removed from the colum, you need to pull off the steering wheel, it's very tight. Seeing as someone tried to steal the car, you would be better off trying to find out the cause first and then repair the problem

John

I've already had the steering wheel of. The problem I've got now is that the boss underneath and the plastic yoke the stalks sit into is crooked. The steering column seems to be turned to the left if it makes any sense? Any mechanics on here from the Ashbourne direction willing to take a look. I'll pay of course, not looking for a freebie just want to get it sorted. Doesnt feel right when I'm drivimg

Sounds to me like you need a new steering column as I dont think they can just be straightened (if its even possible) and still considered safe.

Back