COOLANT LEAK

Paddy scooby

Middle Lane Hogs
Lads, my impreza is using nearly a litre of coolant a week :eek:mg:! It definetly not going into the oil (had that checked) but Its using a hell of  a lot of coolant! The car is mapped by westward eng. and the power fc is set to start the cooling fan at 90C, Im really stumped, but the coolant is definetly not letting coolant into the oil as it would not be still running if it was. Aswell there are no puddles under the car when it is left sitting for a while, so its not an obvious leak. My only idea is that the cooling fan temp is much higher than it should be and the coolant is boiling out the overflow pipe!! otherwise Im stumped!! Its a 97  sti-type-r

i had a lead but it was dripping on to the heads and evaporating so there would be no puddles. see is their any mayonnaise type stuff in the oil, if there is it might be loosing it internally.

Get the cooling system pressure tested when cold. Check the end of the rad at the top on the drivers side, it has a habit of cracking, but the coolant evaporates before you can see it, common enough. A damaged cap, and where it fits on will also cause it to loose coolant. 90 is not too hot for the fan too cut in.

John

As above had a small crack in the rad driver side would not leak when cold fooker to find but when you give it some stick you would see a very small bit of steam. This happend twice on me with the same car :angry:

Yea defo check the rad, but dnt put your eyeball right down to it or neting if your after giving her bit of a squeeze b4 hand :D, im on my 4th or 5th scooby and defo 3rd rad. another worst case senario is head gasket or heads and that the water is getting into cylinders and been burnt up, this would prob show up as a whiteish smoke or vapour when you start her up 4rrm cold, u wnt have coolant on ground or in oil, what will happen is when car is hot the aluminium heads expand and stop or slow the leak and its able to burn it up as it comes in, but when she cools and aluminium retracts more will get in and as she not running to evapotate, a bit will build up in cylinder and then when you start her up you will get the white smoke as it burns up and evapotrates the built up water.. hope its your rad or leak do.. i got my last rad off Renno... very cheap aswell, cheaper than anywhere i previously tried :thumbsup:

Had the problem with the top right front of rad too. It was because the rad was pressing up against the air-con rad. You have to be careful when tightening the brackets holding the rad that the two rads are not touching. And yeah its hard to find the leak as it only opens when pressure is built up.

Back