00 type r 5 gear crunch advice wanted.

scooby.grrr

Sunday Drivers
Morning all, as above 5th gear on my gearbox is crunching into fifth gear from fourth. what could this be? And is it worth repairing? The gear oil looks clean.

It will not be cheap as gearbox has to come out. So labour will be most of the bill.

Your choice is 1. remove gearbox, open it and drop in new 5th synchro and replace gearbox or 2) replace box with second hand one.

Personally I wouldn't go with the second hand option unless sure gearbox is low mileage.

I would have your current gearbox rebuilt with all new synchros in every gear...best option for piece of mind.

few traders on here give them a ring likes of dave legacy sti tuning and they wil give u some prices on fixin your 5th gear syncho ill pm ya :thumbsup:

Common problem with Type R boxes so i would be very hesitant about 2nd hand box unless you know the car its come out of etc etc

[quote author=ger sti link=topic=33641.msg385551#msg385551 date=1331576950]
few traders on here give them a ring likes of dave legacy sti tuning and they wil give u some prices on fixin your 5th gear syncho ill pm ya :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Got your pm
Are u on Facebook if so add me James Feenan
One of these days I will become a full member of here :)

Very few places fix gearboxes in house afaik. Ali Burrows up north i think does it, other than that there's a place in tallaght, cant remember the name.

mr.gearbox done mine

i put in a longer 5th gear for the motor way too while it was out

autotranz of the green hill road beside vision window tinting
we use them in work
very good :thumbsup:

Greenhills Ind Est Walkinstown Dn 12 Co. Dublin - D12 Walkinstown
(01)4299944
(087)9290669
from golden pages

[quote author=scooby.grrr link=topic=33641.msg385553#msg385553 date=1331577703]
[quote author=ger sti link=topic=33641.msg385551#msg385551 date=1331576950]
[/quote]

Got your pm
Are u on Facebook if so add me James Feenan
One of these days I will become a full member of here :)
[/quote]
wats your profile pic all i found was james feenan but says uk on it mine is gerard murray profile pic blue type r :thumbsup:

It hopefully shouldn't be major fix, 5th gear may have moved. This can be fixed without removing the box from the car. You need to take the back section off the box, and tighten the nut that holds fifth gear in place. It seems to be common enough problem in the type r boxes, but needs to be sorted asap before it casues more damage :thumbsup:

well man try naas gearbox as they are close to ya and are good i had them do a box for me before with no problems,or as said before ali burrows does a top class job,ring round a few places and see which gives the best deal

Its worth thinking about a six speed, its a good time to change when box fecked. I put uk six speed in mine stronger and nicer to drive. and easier to get good one. All five speeds 11 years +

[quote author=scoobyIrl link=topic=33641.msg385611#msg385611 date=1331590158]
It hopefully shouldn't be major fix, 5th gear may have moved. This can be fixed without removing the box from the car. You need to take the back section off the box, and tighten the nut that holds fifth gear in place. It seems to be common enough problem in the type r boxes, but needs to be sorted asap before it casues more damage :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I like the sound of this.

How can I tell if 5 gear was changed for the motorway ?
How much for a 6 speed gearbox ?

[quote author=sean typer link=topic=33641.msg385914#msg385914 date=1331739563]
Here ya go lad,had the same problem a few years ago.Removed transfer case thinking the nut was loose(it was fine)
so took it off anyways and removed synchros which were bent back at the edge,for some reason.Put them in a vice,
filed away the the burr on the edge(5 min job)All straight again,replace and crunch free going on 3 years :icon_grin:
http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/mod-transfer-case-removal-5th-6049.html
[/quote]

Thanks for the link and reply,
Would i be able to get a local garage to fix this ? or will i need someone that knows the subaru ?

Back