Is my O2 sensor faulty?

geogan

Petrolheads
WATCH & LISTEN TO THE PROBLEM HERE: http://youtu.be/yb28Qwk6c98

Diagnosis needed... With car sitting on idle the voltage appears to cycle from about 0.8V down to less than 0.2V every few seconds. Is there something wrong with the O2 sensor here or are those voltages and cycling normal behaviour?
Also when i try idling at around 2000RPM it will NOT stay steady. It appears to misfire (sounds like it in exhaust) and goes up and down like i was moving my foot on accelerator (i'm not, i'm holding accelerator steady as rock). This up/down behaviour appears to be perfectly syncronised with the voltage cycling on O2 sensor.

Last two car tests on this car failed the high idle with these readings:

High Idle: Lambda: 0.96
(2671rpm) CO 1.94 vol% HC 178 ppm

The Lambda reading means its too rich. The CO reading needs to be below 0.20% to pass. Lambda between 0.97 and 1.03 to pass.

The low idle passed with CO 0.04 vol%, HC 39 ppm

Low
img1411t.jpg

High
09032012192104.jpg

img1412lp.jpg

09032012191921.jpg

09032012192025.jpg

Car is due to be remapped next week. Just wondering is it a waste of time if there is existing hardware problem...

Don't mean to be funny, but I think you are in over your head here, you've been months at it and still none the wiser. Has anyone actually checked the live data to see if its just a problem with the lambda?

Take the car to ciaran in ASD automotive, 0878330772, and let him find the fault for you and he's in walkinstown which is only over the road from you.

Mapping on full throttle shouldn't be a problem as you are in open loop at that point, but not sure what way it would work for the mapping while mapping for half throttle. I'd always be wary that you are not reaching the cars potential if you map it while it has the problem.

thats normal behavior.

lambda sensor was working fine when plugged
in last time on a quick visit.

Although car has had parts removed since last map and owner
unsure of what injectors was in car also at time of mapping.

Because of this we advised simon who mapped it previously to check over map
as if it is indeed within the map then pointless wasting time and money
going through the usual suspects as you
would normally do in car with standard non mapped ecu

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=33615.msg385293#msg385293 date=1331377399]
thats normal behavior.

lambda sensor was working fine when plugged
in last time on a quick visit.

Although car has had parts removed since last map and owner
unsure of what injectors was in car also at time of mapping.

Because of this we advised simon who mapped it previously to check over map
as if it is indeed within the map then pointless wasting time and money
going through the usual suspects as you
would normally do in car with standard non mapped ecu
[/quote]

Good. Yes Dave you did say you didn't see anything wrong with voltages from O2. I just wanted to make sure there was no obvious (to expert eyes) major problems before I waste time/money getting re-map done.

I have confirmed with previous owner that what was on it at the time of last map was one of those HKS mushroom filters that people give out about (no filtering at all) but the injectors were standard - he got larger ones after map but not in car now (don't think he put them in at all).

I have K&N Typhoon on the way - hopefully in before mapping so map makes use of this intake...

p.s you did say that the cycling up/down while trying to hold the revs steady wasn't normal didn't you?

Well there goes ANOTHER missed mapping session with "Jolly Green Monster" Simon who apparently was over in some hotel all day yesterday in Dublin doing mapping but no matter how many emails i sent to him to find out where and when he was available over last few days (and for last few months), he never said where he was and only replied today to tell me - gave some excuse about not being able to log into this site... admins you can check private emails if you want... not impressed with the situation, his communication or his service at all right now. I wish I could getting remapped by some other Ecutek mapper but apparently that's not how it works. Seriously thinking about just fucking the Ecutek stuff out the door and reflashing with Opensource... :angry1:

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=33615.msg385305#msg385305 date=1331387768]
i did indeed. not normal at all.
[/quote]

Dave is BOB RAWLE (who you're bringing over at end of month for mapping session) able to do a map tweak here or is the ECU now locked to JGM only for tweaks? Would Bob only be able to do start from scratch full map @ full price?

Sorry to hear you had some problems but at least there are other options to consider if you plan on getting the car mapped in the next few weeks :thumbsup:

Bob does ecutek mapping all the time, so he will be able to create his own map and flash it on to your ecu. It will be a new map though not a tweak so it will be a little more expensive than getting a tweak done. Not sure of Dave's current prices so you might be best giving him a ring if he's not online this evening :thumbsup:

Couture are another of our trader options who can bypass the ecutek map and put on an ecuflash map while still retaining the ecutek licence :thumbsup:

So if your car is ECUtek mapped and you have an ECUtec licence essentially you only have an ECUtec license with the mapper who did the original map?
So you can only get tweak mapped with the original mapper and all othe ECUtek mappers charge for a new license? Thats very restrictive?

(doesnt bother me personally as my car is mapped with Bob anyway just a general query!)

[quote author=eliroche link=topic=33615.msg386325#msg386325 date=1331924774]
So if your car is ECUtek mapped and you have an ECUtec licence essentially you only have an ECUtec license with the mapper who did the original map?
So you can only get tweak mapped with the original mapper and all othe ECUtek mappers charge for a new license? Thats very restrictive?

(doesnt bother me personally as my car is mapped with Bob anyway just a general query!)
[/quote]

That does appear to be the way the Ecutek system is rigged all right. It's designed to protect the mapper from other people and mappers being able to view his map and copy it to start on their own. The mapper has a copy of the ROM file from the car and starts from this when tweaking. Also I heard Ecutek also started doing something in 2006 so that when an Ecutek map is written to ECU that other Opensource software can't read or write to the ECU without wiping it and starting again.

But it means if you can't get the original mapper over to do a tweak for £150 + VAT then another mapper will charge full whack £600+ to start from scratch with their own one...

Apparently there are cracks for this protection though...

No, no.. you only pay for the licence once, once its bought, its on the ecu and thats it. If you go to a new mapper, you have to get a fresh map as it will be their first time mapping the car. If you get a 'tweak map', its just the original mapper 'tweaking' their original map.

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=33615.msg386322#msg386322 date=1331923987]
Sorry to hear you had some problems but at least there are other options to consider if you plan on getting the car mapped in the next few weeks :thumbsup:

Bob does ecutek mapping all the time, so he will be able to create his own map and flash it on to your ecu. It will be a new map though not a tweak so it will be a little more expensive than getting a tweak done. Not sure of Dave's current prices so you might be best giving him a ring if he's not online this evening :thumbsup:

Couture are another of our trader options who can bypass the ecutek map and put on an ecuflash map while still retaining the ecutek licence :thumbsup:
[/quote]

No way I could afford to do a new full price map with Bob (much as i'd like to right now) :icon_sad:

I might have a look and see what Couture can do if JGM isn't going to be back for months...

As I said in private message, it means right now i still can't attempt NCT so leaving myself open to mercy of any garda checkpoint again like I have been for last six months.

Can you imagine trying to explain to a garda that Ecutek mapping problems is why I haven't NCT on car?!? :wall:

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=33615.msg386329#msg386329 date=1331925483]
No, no.. you only pay for the licence once, once its bought, its on the ecu and thats it. If you go to a new mapper, you have to get a fresh map as it will be their first time mapping the car. If you get a 'tweak map', its just the original mapper 'tweaking' their original map.
[/quote]

Yes but won't a new mapper charge way more to start a fresh map, even if you have a licence, than they do for a tweak map?

It wouldn't be way more but it would be more. For a fresh map, you'd still be looking at less than half the price of the original ecutek licence and map.

Makes a bit more sense now alright.
@geogan, you might aswell find out how much it costs to get map tweaked by whoever is available soonest so as you can get NCT done and dusted.

Back