Concerned About Secondhand Oil Cooler

goosie208

Petrolheads
evening lads

i won a Setrab oil cooler on Ebay today, spur of the moment, didn't think about the implications till i had won :doh:

its not all bad though, i got it for £18 and it only looks lightly used,

my concern is, what if it came from a car with bottom end failure, or other such swarf causing problems, thats the last thing i need, swarf working its way around my engine

my question is, any way i can REALLY flush it out, and get any engine killing particles out? anywhere that can do it professionally?

ideas on a postcard to: Chris's house, Co Clare :hammerhead:

Speak to somewhere like a radiator repair centre.....
they should have some way to connect it up and flush the crap out of it!!!!!

Otherwise it could be a case of rigging it up to a system with a oil filter in the system between it and the engine!!!!
That should catch enough swarf and crap to keep your engine safe

I dunno if I'd risk an £18 part on the chance of causing an engine failure. If you can find someone who'll guarantee they have flushed out everything and will rebuild your engine if something goes wrong, then go for it.

Of course, its a different story if its just been taken off a car but who would take an oil cooler of a car and sell for £18??

£18 versus €2,500 for a rebuild is the only question you have to ask yourself. Why do you need it? Are you planning on tracking it more regularly? Even if you are, switching to Motul 300V 15W50 will drop the temps significantly to where you wouldn't need one in your circumstance.

well from what i gather from the seller, it was part of a auction lot he won, and has no use for it, so he put it on ebay

and its not actually for my engine, but for my Autobox, the trans cooler is totally useless, and the when you get into some spirited driving, Nurburgring, GP Circuit, and swiss alps mountain pass driving, (jeaous yet :icon_nana: ) it soon over heats, and you get stuck in 4th with no kick down, which is rather annoying when your chasing a Leon Cupra R and fending off 9 other Legacys at the same time

i have sent a mail to a radiator refurb place to see if they can flush it out, but other than that your right, is it worth the risk.

may not have come from a engine failed car at all but who knows

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=33600.msg385078#msg385078 date=1331237062]
no need for oil cooler on a B4
[/quote]

whhhhhy may i ask :eek7:

considering the autos don't have any form of oil cooler, not even the Modine that the manuals have, doesn't take long for temps to get 110-120 degrees on track from experience

Didnt know yours was an auto. Yes if doing track etc be good to install a oem oil modine at least

[quote author=goosie208 link=topic=33600.msg385080#msg385080 date=1331237422]
for my Autobox, the trans cooler is totally useless, and the when you get into some spirited driving, Nurburgring, GP Circuit, and swiss alps mountain pass driving, (jeaous yet :icon_nana: )
[/quote]

No man, its an automatic, safely say not jealous at all :1poke:

There is no sure way of cleaning a cooler out, it would be far to risky for me to put on an engine... maybe a gearbox wouldnt be a problem do

Back