Removing learned knock / resetting ECU question

geogan

Petrolheads
Hi,

When the ECU learns from knock and retards the ignition to save engine caused by bad petrol etc. is the worse map used from then on forever?

Ie does it "unlearn" and increase power again when better petrol is back or does it just use the learned map from then on for ever?....

Just wondering if resetting the ECU would give me back some power which maybe the ECU is afraid to use... - i used crappy non E5 petrol for a while and now i'm using E5 again (which it was mapped for) i am wondering about this...

Does the "disconnect battery negative and pump brake to drain power" method of resetting ECU back to base map work on 03 STI or is there some other way? How long would you have to hold brake?

Thanks

it will slowly re-learn itself but ecu reset will also require ecu to do some re-learning too, it will probably be quicker that way.

The newage ecu's are much more capable than the classic ecu's and relearn much faster. Might be wrong but i don't think disconnecting the battery on a newage will reset the ecu. Once you are sure the crap petrol has been cleaned through which will take a few tanks, you need to take it through the rev range a few times to relearn

According to US forum the reset can only be done using OBDII cable (which i have - a cheap one from ebay).

"so disconnecting the battery on my 05 blobeye wont erase the remap then?

Wont do anything other than give your 10mm spanner a working out.

Reset can only be done via the OBD port.

"

I might try it with OBDII cable just to see if it does anything. Apparently it is recommended to do it when there are any hardware mods done to car like different intake etc.

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=33548.msg384435#msg384435 date=1331042908]
learning view with obd2 cable will let you reset your ecu, it wont erase anything from your map
[/quote]

Thanks. I've only recently heard of the opensource Romraider software and it looks great for doing things yourself and not having to rely on mappers and commercial locked down software. The problem with it for me is the car is remapped with Ecutek and apparently they have locked the ECU somehow to protect the maps from being read or changed with anything else as long as it has Ecutek map on it. I'd have to pay an Ecutek mapper to remove the map and reflash an original ECU map in there. Bit of a waste considering how much an Ecutek licence/map costs... I wonder does this mean the Learning View software won't work either... i'll try it anyway...

Nick in couture says he has software to break back into ecutek mapped ecu's, dunno any further details about it though

you should still be able to use learning view and romraider with an ecutek'ed ecu, its only reading certain parameters and not going near the ecutek map. you wont be able to right to your ecu which is the problem.

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=33548.msg384446#msg384446 date=1331045513]
Nick in couture says he has software to break back into ecutek mapped ecu's, dunno any further details about it though
[/quote]

Interesting.. maybe i'll ask him about it :thumbsup:

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=33548.msg384457#msg384457 date=1331047223]
you should still be able to use learning view and romraider with an ecutek'ed ecu, its only reading certain parameters and not going near the ecutek map. you wont be able to right to your ecu which is the problem.
[/quote]

It would be grand if I could just view / log stuff from ECU so I can see any problems... don't really want to edit maps myself...

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=33548.msg384457#msg384457 date=1331047223]
[/quote]

Romraider and LearningView do NOT work unless you buy the $160 Tactrix cable... do they?

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=33548.msg385213#msg385213 date=1331316745]
yes they do, i bought a 10 dollar one on ebay, been working fine since i got it
[/quote]

I have an ebay bought OBDII cable too and the two programs do NOT work with it. What's the name of your cable that works with them?

Back