Suggestion: Database of technical issues failures etc.

doggy

Hi all,

As my own car racks up the mileage, it's getting to the stage where stuff will probably start going wrong. Reading the technical section of the forum, there's a lot of posts about cars not starting, not running right etc., and a lot are traced back to sensors. Since we have a good collection of cars, we should have good information on what kind of issues happen to different models and at what kind of age/mileage. Obviously the failures will vary with type of usage, areas of usage etc. but it might give an idea. If there was sufficient information, it might give lads an idea as to what to be looking for when the car gets to a certain age/mileage

Something like:
Car Make/Model Symptom Remedy Age Mileage Approx cost
2005 WRX Car not starting Knock sensor failure 7 yrs 120k mls €100

Good idea mate :thumbsup:

What would be the best categories to break them up into? Say Classic, Newage, Legacy TT, Legacy Twin Scroll, Forester.. I think they might be best and leave it like that rather than putting in sub categories like sti, wrx, rx, etc and making it too confusing. I'll look into setting something up over the next while :thumbsup:

It depends, if mainly engine related there could be an argument for just using engine codes as categories. If it was to extend to wishbones, drop links etc., then categorized as you have above would be fine - classic, newage etc.

Maybe engine code would be an idea?

I think its a good idea although not every car will have same problems at same mileage so may lead people changing parts not needed or not changing bits that may be needed etc ..

Agreed, it'd be far from an exact science, and it might tell nothing if there is no trends. Less scrupulous garages than yourself in the trade would probably welcome unnecessary changing of parts!

Back