b4 fmic and map

popsy b4

Sunday Drivers
seen as i cant get any more power out of my b4 without major work i want to start on the cosmetic side of things
i have a nur spec exhaust on the way and really want a fmic its one of favourite features on any turbo car ill be spraying the core black :multijump:

how will this effect my map having a new exhaust and fmic ? reckon i will need some tweaking ? any preference on fmic kits for them i know there not exactly easy to fit but is there any better than the other ?

Yes you will need a map with exhaust and FMIC.

If you have no other mods then you don't need a FMIC.

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=33518.msg384045#msg384045 date=1330896463]
Yes you will need a map with exhaust and FMIC.

If you have no other mods then you don't need a FMIC.
[/quote]

i have a nice few mods and i know i dont need a fmic but i want one :653:purely for looks make it stand out from your everyday legacy

Don't know of anyone other than HKS making fmic for the TT's and not even sure they're making them anymore. The core and piping will basically be the same as a newage impreza other than needing a sort of 2 into 1 y-pipe from the turbo exits

yeah you really don't need a FMIC, its just total over kill, you'll have less boost and also more lag as well, the standard top mount is good unto about 350bhp, and realistically you will struggle to find that amount still running twins turbos.

the only place the TMIC fails is at speeds over about 120 ish i think where the air just can't get in fast enough to cool, but TBH whens the last time you went that fast for a prolonged amount of time

exhaust is good though

[quote author=goosie208 link=topic=33518.msg384183#msg384183 date=1330948255]

the only place the TMIC fails is at speeds over about 120 ish i think where the air just can't get in fast enough to cool, but TBH whens the last time you went that fast for a prolonged amount of time

[/quote]

Who told you this?

if purely for looks buy a cheap as cheaps fmic off egay and dont hook it up,so you get the look ur after without spending loads,the money saved could go on ur map,exhaust headers,and decat if u dont already have some small gains can be had from them two,no sense in spending loads on fmic that wont serve a purpose :thumbsup:

@ Dagnut, I too was under the impression that the scoops on the leggy and possibly the Impreza were rendered useless at prolonged high speed. Dont know who told me or where I read it, but must have gotten it from somewhere!

:eek7:
If anything it would be when the car is in traffic when heat soak occurs is where the top mount is flawed, other than that its fine ,I would not bother changing it. If you just want look, just get a 2nd core and bang it in the front bumper.

[quote author=MrMagoo link=topic=33518.msg384200#msg384200 date=1330954611]
@ Dagnut, I too was under the impression that the scoops on the leggy and possibly the Impreza were rendered useless at prolonged high speed. Dont know who told me or where I read it, but must have gotten it from somewhere!
[/quote]

Be pretty basic design flaw for a car which can do 150+...just seems to me to be one of those things doing the rounds without anything to support it...I could be wrong but no one has ever given me a decent explanation

no way could i have a core in the bumper and not connected up would do my nut in :icon_nana:

i know its not needed well not yet anyway god knows what im capable of doing with the car ha i never see a legacy with a fmic and i like to be a bit different some might think its madness but hey what can ya do ha ha

ill look around on the net but there hard to come accross ,as for exhaust which will be getting fitted in the next week or so will that effect the current map on it ? its mapped to 1.1 bar on hks fcon

[quote author=popsy b4 link=topic=33518.msg384241#msg384241 date=1330966827]
no way could i have a core in the bumper and not connected up would do my nut in :icon_nana:

i know its not needed well not yet anyway god knows what im capable of doing with the car ha i never see a legacy with a fmic and i like to be a bit different some might think its madness but hey what can ya do ha ha

ill look around on the net but there hard to come accross ,as for exhaust which will be getting fitted in the next week or so will that effect the current map on it ? its mapped to 1.1 bar on hks fcon
[/quote]

If it decatted it will affect the boost :thumbsup:

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=33518.msg384191#msg384191 date=1330951699]

Who told you this?
[/quote]

lots of people, seems to be a fairly well known thing that the scoops just can't get enough air in to effectively cool at big speeds

its not the IC per se at fault its the bonnet scoops :dontknow:

Be interested to know how many people engines have actually blown from this effect, if any. I've never seen anyone who had just blown an engine claiming it was after a high speed run. I've done my fair share of it and never had a problem.

and don't forget the cars are supposed to be limited to 112 in Japan so it wasn't a problem for "legal" cars and how they were designed

Robbie, Beechey on UKL did the exact thing, 149 mph on the autobahn back from the 'Ring last summer,

[quote author=goosie208 link=topic=33518.msg384249#msg384249 date=1330968092]
[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=33518.msg384191#msg384191 date=1330951699]

Who told you this?
[/quote]

lots of people, seems to be a fairly well known thing that the scoops just can't get enough air in to effectively cool at big speeds

its not the IC per se at fault its the bonnet scoops :dontknow:
[/quote][quote author=goosie208 link=topic=33518.msg384252#msg384252 date=1330968509]
and don't forget the cars are supposed to be limited to 112 in Japan so it wasn't a problem for "legal" cars and how they were designed

Robbie, Beechey on UKL did the exact thing, 149 mph on the autobahn back from the 'Ring last summer,
[/quote]

I'm not sure tbh...I've had a B4 sat at 120+ without any problems...also the car is sold in Australia.. delimited...slightly detuned but still capable of 158mph...there are de-restricted roads in the northern territories where they test cars.

It seems to be one of those "things"..I remember everyone used to say you couldn't safely run the top mount for over 350bhp...then Licthfields did the type 25 with 415bhp without problems...I just think it's one of those things perpetuated by people trying to sell you stuff...so much forum speak becomes accepted norms in the car world without any basis in fact.

They may have been limited like a lot of cars these days but as dagnut said, they were designed and advertised with a top speed of about 155mph. Would be a pretty massive design flaw by subaru if that was the case. There's always the fact that the damage may already have been done and the high speed run just put an end to the engine.

Of course, the flip side is that it was designed to do 155 as a standard car. A simple remap with increased boost pressure requires more air to cool charge temps and if its not getting enough air at those speeds to cool the charge temps, then det could cause the engine failure. Hard to blame a design flaw by subaru for that though, seeing as they were not designed to cope with those temps

yes! a lot of the stuff we hear and regurgitate on these forums quite often turns out to be tripe!

but hey ho! i very quickly learned to take everything people say with a pinch of salt! the main one being (from UKL) along the lines of, if you run a vent to atmosphere BV you and your car will die in a plume of satanic fire death, turns out I DIDNT DIE!!

another one is the changing of the vacuum lines and solenoid box for ones "refurbed" by a forum member, turns out, the lines are cheap and not rated for boost! but everyone just believes that it works because they are told it will

I'm sure i still spit out wrong information i have been told but its hard to know what is and isn't a load of rubbish and pic out the actual nuggets of quality information :comp26:

Nebver heard that about the refurbed boxes he was selling. Are a lot of them now failing because of the cheap pipes?

[quote author=goosie208 link=topic=33518.msg384261#msg384261 date=1330969426]
yes! a lot of the stuff we hear and regurgitate on these forums quite often turns out tripe!

another one is the changing of the vacuum lines and solenoid box for ones "refurbed" by a forum member, turns out, the lines are cheap and not rated for boost! but everyone just believes that it works because they are told it will

I'm sure i still spit out wrong information i have been told but its hard to know what is and isn't a load of rubbish and pic out the actual nuggets of quality information :comp26:
[/quote]

I said that years ago. do not touch the lines on a b4. Glad finally that changing them madness has stopped.

Back