boost control valve and boost guage, what are you using?

B4UB4ME

Sunday Drivers
Going to put a boost valve and guage on my b4 legacy, what are you lads using? I see lots of them on ebay, what boost pressure are you going up to? I was told to run it up to 1.1
Was looking for a gauge and pod aswell, wanted 1 for the pillar or maybe under the radio.
Is there an electric unit that can be plugged into the diagnostic plug on the car to show boost, rpm etc, I seen one on a 1.8 t passat.

Hi,

I'm using a blitz DSBC which is run independently from the motec. Current boost levels on the GT30 are 1.6bar boost. I am happy enough with it and there is a good scope for adjustment as well, so happy enough. The blitz unit has its own display so don't need a gauge.
What spec is your leggy?

Rgds
Paddy

"boost valve"?? do you mean boost controller? if so there are ups and downs, one being that you can set the boost you would like to see, but if you set your boost to 1bar on primary you will only see 1 bar on secondary too, you can set the two to different values, as the two turbos share the same waste gate, and by putting in an MBC (manual boost controller) you are are bypassing the waste gate duty solenoid giving the ECU no control over boost pressures, which brings me onto my second bad point, with the ECU having no say, if you get any circumstances that the ECU would reduce boost, i.e.. limp mode, the ECU cannot restrict the pressures, and if you have a major problem that your ECU is trying to protect your engine from, it can't

a word of warning, if you do get one, keep the boost at or preferably bellow 1 bar primary, or you can run into lean running horridness

personally i would only fit a MBC if i was getting wild over boost i was trying to tame, not increasing boost

if you want to increase boost "safely" a remap is the only way forward, as they can adjust timing and fueling to suit the boost

just a few pointers :thumbsup:

as for boost gauges you have a plethora of choice, stick to know brands, not funny named Ebay junk, i have a had Apexi, Greddy, HKS and now Defi boost gauges, all very accurate and have good "boast factor" :icon_lol: and i got the first three of ebay for less than €50, second hand of cause.

prosport are ok, some people really rate them, but the one i had (though it was oil pressure) seemed cheap and now i have a Defi, very inaccurate, the word i would use to describe it would have been "numb"

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=33509.msg383893#msg383893 date=1330808616]
Fitting a boost controller and upping to 1.1bar will most like lead to a melted piston.
[/quote]

:thumbsup: i think so too

[quote author=Paddy scooby link=topic=33509.msg383884#msg383884 date=1330806471]
Hi,

I'm using a blitz DSBC which is run independently from the motec. Current boost levels on the GT30 are 1.6bar boost. I am happy enough with it and there is a good scope for adjustment as well, so happy enough. The blitz unit has its own display so don't need a gauge.
What spec is your leggy?

Rgds
Paddy
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply paddy, my legacy is a 99 b4, standard really, i dont know what spec it is after that

[quote author=goosie208 link=topic=33509.msg383887#msg383887 date=1330807261]
"boost valve"?? do you mean boost controller? if so there are ups and downs, one being that you can set the boost you would like to see, but if you set your boost to 1bar on primary you will only see 1 bar on secondary too, you can set the two to different values, as the two turbos share the same waste gate, and by putting in an MBC (manual boost controller) you are are bypassing the waste gate duty solenoid giving the ECU no control over boost pressures, which brings me onto my second bad point, with the ECU having no say, if you get any circumstances that the ECU would reduce boost, i.e.. limp mode, the ECU cannot restrict the pressures, and if you have a major problem that your ECU is trying to protect your engine from, it can't

a word of warning, if you do get one, keep the boost at or preferably bellow 1 bar primary, or you can run into lean running horridness

personally i would only fit a MBC if i was getting wild over boost i was trying to tame, not increasing boost

if you want to increase boost "safely" a remap is the only way forward, as they can adjust timing and fueling to suit the boost

just a few pointers :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Yea goosie an adjustable control valve.
I see what your saying, the chap that was telling me about
The adj valve was running one on his car for 3 years at that 1.1

So nobody is using one?
thanks for the replys, i dont know much about these cars so
Looking to ye lads for advice
cheers

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=33509.msg383893#msg383893 date=1330808616]
Fitting a boost controller and upping to 1.1bar will most like lead to a melted piston.
[/quote]

Thanks dave so you wouldnt advise fitting one or
fit one but dont let it boost that high?

Can my 99 legacy be mapped at a reasonable price

Dont get me wrong im happy with the car but if i can get a little
bit more power easily, why not.....

Save money and dont buy electronic boost controller, induction kit or a dump valve.

And the €€€ savings from not buying above will pay for a map. And maybe prevent an engine failure.

[quote author=B4UB4ME link=topic=33509.msg383918#msg383918 date=1330814185]

Can my 99 legacy be mapped at a reasonable price

[/quote]

2 options you have is Couture Auto, they can do a RR remap for circa €250, or Dave up there^^^^ he gets Bob Rawle over every once in a while who is arguably one of the best if not THE best mapper for TT's, only problem is i think thats circa €900 (€50 discount if your member) but that has to pay for Bobs time, ECUTek license, bobs travel and accommodation, and maybe some other costs I'm not thinking of

Grand yep.

Couple simteks and a ecutek.

Forged 2.5 Rev D project coming up. I,ll stick up a thread on here when we start

Thanks for a ll the replys lads,
I think i'll leave well enough alone for now at least,
Dont want to chance doing anu harm,
What is the price of a remap nowadays dave?

Back