legacy tie rods

Blain

Middle Lane Hogs
Hi lads ive a 01 legacy b4,the steering in my legacy feels a bit off like its a bit wobbly over bumps,theres a lot of play in it too,i taught it might be links.i have the links ready to go in as the ones on car are fucked.i never checked the tie rods when I was in mechanic but after watchin wheeler dealers today I seen edd had a similar problem on a merc.and i think i have the same problem!!i might as well get the rods too just to be sure but I dont know which ones would be most commen faluire the inner rods or the outter rods???anyone any ideas?,i will get on ebay!

Outer would be more common but easy to check if worn or not. Top mounts are just as likely to cause your problem and more common issue. I replaced both tie rods in my old B4 with genuine subaru ones,think it was €90 for the pair,but turned out to be top mounts that was the problem.

so i guess ill get them checked when im fitting the links,save me buyin them...but something tells me when i put the new links in ill still have same problem with the play in the steering...ill get checked first anyway,is there any way of checking the top mounts if they are fucked or not???and does woren mounts cause play in the steering???by top mounts do you mean these???
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Subaru-Legac...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43ab8213b2

Pull off the dust caps on the top mounts and see how the bearing looks,but really need to remove the shock to check them. And yes thats like them in the pic but theyre cheaper than that from carroll and roche main dealers

Back