Rear Diff Clonk

stiimpreza1984

Sunday Drivers
Hey all :smile: in my 00 Sti RA since I bought her in 08 it always had a slight clonk out off the rear diff when DCCD set to fully open normal setting but since last year I think it has got a small bit louder seems too happen when turning slow either right or left on/ off the power I have changed to the motul 90pa LSD oil from the subaru genuine diff oil and has seemed to help it however trying to make myself feel better by reading this forum http://www.iwsti.com/forums/drivetrain-components/25833-rear-diff-clunk-knock.html hope its not serious and I need to change diff or do the diff generally get a bit louder over time? or is it with no sound deadening you hear every thing in these cars and I shouldnt worry about it? 135k kms /83k miles on her and dont go mad in it well kept, your replies would be great thanks :thumbsup:

Is the diff whining as you increase speed?

Mine did and was loud at motorway speed. Changed it out for a second hand one and all quiet again.

Alright fella it dont seem to be whining at all but their was a whine awhile back and it was the rear wheel bearings and thats sorted now replaced them, but have falken tyres now all round and getting a bit of road noise off them but cant hear it whine to be honest

If its not whining then I don't think its serious. It also doesn't sound to me like the diff it likely to fail or is a bad condition.

I would just monitor the situation and if it starts t whine consider replacement.

Back