Brakes question.

chriSTi

Petrolheads
howya lads jus wonderin , how would I know if my brake servo unit is knackered as opposed to jus havin crap brakes..? cheers Chris :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

With the car switched off, pump the pedal a few times until it gets solid. Then, place your foot on the pedal and start the car, as the car starts, the pedal should sink, as if it's getting easier to push. That means the servo is working. If the pedal stay's solid, you have a problem.

John

nice one John :thumbsup: :thumbsup: seems like I'm ok so... I'll have to upgrade the discs and pads coz they're muck :(

@john...... I was jus down at a mechanic I know and he said the same.. tho he reckons it should go down a bit more(he's not too familiar with scoobys) mine seems to get very solid after it goes down..does the servo go gradually or what other factors is there... couple of valves comin out of the servo,brake master cylinder is it? it seems to brake evenly so each caliper seems to be ok....... ????? thanx

He's probobly used to normal stuff. A car with disc's front and rear will have a more solid pedal than a car with drums on the rear. If you have braided hose's fitted, it will feel more solid again. If the pads were over heated, or just very old, you will have to press the brake even harder to get it to stop, thus making you feel that the pedal is very solid.

John

Back