Removing brake calipers

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
Probably take off my AP calipers while the engine rebuild is getting done. If i completely remove the calipers is there anyway to plug the lines. I have HEL braided lines so not sure they can be pinched to keep fluid in the system.

Whats the best way to get them off?

if i have no way of plugging the braided lines surely all the fluid will drain out? Or will just whatever thats in the lines?

2 nuts, 2 bolts & 4 washers, appropriately sized obviously but readily available anywhere.. don't clamp the braided line as it will never get its proper shape back and you could be left with a restriction that will not allow the piston to release from the disk giving the same symptoms as a sticky piston.

really dan if leaving it more than a couple of hours you need to be changing the fluid, brake fluid is a hygroscopic fluid which means it attracts moisture and it should be a sealed system if opened for any reason it should be changed just to be certain after all its the only thing you have to stop the car and the more moisture in the fluid the lower the boiling point of the fluid so the less effective it is . the only fliud that is not prone to absorbing moisture at the same rate is dot5 silicone based fluid but it still absorbs a certain amount,my advice is let it drain and then refill with dot 5 and bleed it through the brakes will be better for it

I was going to drain the all the fluid out but i thought i read somewhere you shouldn't let that happen. it will probably be another 2 weeks before the car is moving again so ideally, take off front calipers, drain old fluid, re-furb calipers etc , put them back on and new fluid and get brakes bled before car is driven anywhere. i could probably manage to drain the fluid out myself but will be leaving it to someone more knowledgeable than me to refill the system!

Back