Car won't start - no power to dash but turns over ok....

Bren.

Sunday Drivers
Hi lads,

Here's one for ya. 2002 Impreza
For the last few weeks the speedo on the car would drop to zero and immediately jump back to the current speed.
Might do this 2/3 times on a 15km journey. I figured it was the cold or a bad connection and was meaning to get around to having a proper look. (sensor/under dash etc)

Now yesterday yesterday evening while driving on M1 the car lost all power (electric) for about 1/2 a second and then came back on…..cue me changing my boxers! :) All seemed fine until this morning……the car now won't start.

There's no power to the dash but it will turn over, I guessed maybe the ignition fuse had blown?
I was rushing for work so I just had time to remove + lead from battery for a few mins…no joy.

This evening I had a look at the fuses under the bonnet but I feel they all 'looked' ok. (was dark!)
I reseated most of them and no change. Too dark too see the fuses inside the car.

So what do you think it might be? A bad ground somewhere? A blown fuse??

There is a Apexi turbo timer which does light up and counts down when I remove the keys if that helps in any way.

Thanks in advance!!

has to be something lose

check all earths and for lose connections dehind dash

Was hoping I didn't have to go in behind the dash! :new_puppy_dog_eyes:

Will have to wait until weekend anyway before I can get a proper look at her.

Cheers Duffman

The battery is only new and there's well enough charge in her to turn the engine over fine.
Just no power to the dash when I have the ignition on. :-/

I wouldn't rule it out but I doubt it's the alternator.

Update:-

Ok so went out to her after lunch today and she's back to her old self, issue has disappeared :-/ Feck, was kinda hoping it was still giving me bother, no idea now what the issue was?
All I got done today was to remove each fuse and sand the contacts. Added a drop of lithium grease to them too as I went.
I also cut and re-spiced the wires going into each battery terminal and covered them over too with the grease. I checked as much as I could, nothing obvious *shrug*
I'll start her again first thing tomorrow morning and see if it's the cold that causing any issues.

Bizzare problem. Will fire new drop-links into her too tomorrow.

Cheers lads.

Did the problem disappear after you'd done the jobs? Was probably a dodgy connection that you didn't even notice as you were going.

Hopefully you're out of the woods now anyway :thumbsup:

Cheers for the help so far.

All was fine at weekend. Drove her this morning and she cut out again on the M1. After I changed my pants I looked under the dash at the turbo timer. I fiddled a minute with the wires from it and the dash lit up, so deffo an issue with the TT I think. The radio stayed on the whole time, it's just the instrument cluster that seems to die. (along with the car)
Will have a proper look at the fitting later today and re-wire as needed.

Hopefully that's the end of it. :thumbsup:

Should just be block connectors and its easy out but if its been wired in then it will be a pain. Could be a loose connection or broken connection in the block connector that is effectively thinking the key has been removed so shuts dow the dash lights :ponder:

Back