Two new age B4's spotted last Sunday

FRAWLS

Middle Lane Hogs
I passed a MY 05 B4 on the Kildare by Pass on Sunday. I thought this must be the newest one in the country until I saw a brand new unregistered MY 07 B4 for sale in Dublin (in a garage on the Left hand side as you approach the Red Cow Roundy coming from Kildare direction. It looked stunning in metallic black :wazzup:. I didn't get time to have more than a fews secs to admire it as the traffic was mental as you'd expect so close to the Mad Cow on a Sunday evening but I didn't notice any price on the windscreen.

Anyone know how much they're asking for it? The garage is called "something" performance or sports cars "something"?

Frawls

No it had the name sports or performance in it. It is on the lhs of the road about 400m from the ibis on the red cow.

The engine is the same as the us spec sti ie 300 bhp 305 ib/ft torque 2.5 turbo so it should be quite a bit faster than the old B4's. This car looked brand new. It was obsidian black with 18 inch rims.

Frawls

So would the new b4 have the same engine as my car??
different turbo maybe! what turbo is in it? Twin scroll or single?
Dan

Actually the answer appears to be a bit trickier than I expected. The MY 08 US Spec Legacy GT is a 2.5 and has a 243 bhp and 241 ib/ft of torque running on 95 ul.

The MY 08 Jap spec B4 is actually a 2.0 turbo. Same as the sti version see link below: It produces 280 bhp and 263 ib/ft torque on 101 ron.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2006/08/10/subaru-legacy-sti-edition/

I have been in the US spec GT and it is a lovely machine. It has the same engine as the 2.5 sti we get here but it is slightly detuned so as to produce a broader spread of power.

Twin turbocharging is not the be all and end all. A titanium ballbearing variable geometry turbo is a much more efficient set up and if you have the engine capacity supercharging is the best of all. It all depends on what you like in a car. Big turbo = big boost but slow spool up. In traffic this is a real pain but the modern high compression direct injection petrol small turbos really fly from the off (a KKK 03 will hit full boost and torque by 1,800 rpms through to 5,100 rpms and a KKK 04 takes just 300 rpms more at 2,100 and holds full boost right through to 6,000 rpms.

Out on the open road the big turbo gives great top end thrills though with ever congested roads and the ever present risk of picking up penalty points iit gets harder and harder to make as much use of the big turbos' full capabilities as much as we'd all like to.

Frawls

I'd say the place where you have seen it was Redwood motors. It seems to be the only place there selling imports. Haven't spotted it myself but will be keeping an eye, live close by!

Back