? funny electric problem on an STi

Tombusa

Sunday Drivers
When I pull up at a traffic light, I become aware of a funny little clicking , about 3-5 seconds later, maybe once or twice or three times.
Soft little short duration click - minimal but enough to be slightly annoying or make you aware of it. Just single clicks then nothing for about another 2-3 secs

It sounds like it's coming from the floor below your right arm .

Because I noticed it after coming off breaks at traffic lights , I wondered was it anything to do with seatbelt pretensioners?

Anyone any ideas ?

Also, just today, but twice, my front drivers power window failed to go down despite repeatedly pressing the button.

A few mins later, miraculously worked.

? Connected (no pun intended)

160000km on 2006 wrx sti. Well minded - at least for the last 120,000 kms !

Not sure on the clicking noise but have experience of the intermittent power window failure on a different car (99 Fiesta). Solved it by testing the circuit with a multimeter at various points (across fuse, at the plastic connector to the switch) and eventually tracked it down to a faulty switch. Second-hand switch from a breakers solved the problem.

On the clicking, is it like a relay being pulled in and out by the circuit. Like the click when you leave the rear window demister on for too long? If so, maybe you could track it down to the relays at least?

Both these could be connected. It's possible that the clicking is the relay for putting up the window. Maybe stopping or starting may be making or breaking a loose connection, (maybe in the switch as doggy mentioned). If it was a faulty switch that was holding the up relay on, it would prevent the window going down! It could be worth pressing the up switch with the window already closed to see if you can hear the same "clicking".

very wierd I have 06 sti and the same thing started the other day. meant to take off the switch on door to see I think it needs a new one.

[quote author=gerry link=topic=33009.msg378481#msg378481 date=1327531279]
very wierd I have 06 sti and the same thing started the other day. meant to take off the switch on door to see I think it needs a new one.
[/quote]

clearly cases of "built in obsolescence" ... :1poke:

Back