Does your Subaru run better without a BOV

Steve

Middle Lane Hogs
I am just wondering does anyone else think this. I have had 3 on my Subaru - Baileys, Forge R2D2 and HKS SSQ. I found that the HKS worked the better out of the 3. All were genuine new items.

I decided today to go back to basics and go back to the original Subaru item. I found the Baileys and the Forge both had their problems. If you know your car like all of us do you can tell going from the stock item to a BOV. Firstly the lag is slightly increased and you can notice a very slight difference in the way it boosts. The HKS did improve things but after today I am of the opinion Subarus run better with the original set up. The difference is less lag, smoother boost and a nicer drive but with no sound :icon_cry:

I have taken this quote from Club wrx to explain the BOV. It started as a simple question like I am asking you all and ended up in a 500 page thread merged with other Clubs. So be honest and ask yourself does it run better stock :thumbsup: I am leaving mine stock. I have asked a couple of tuners this question and they are split, a rolling road wont pick it up but a good driver will notice it two fold. However some of them said that some Subarus are like Skylines and they dont like BOV's. I am nearly that sure that I am thinking of putting on the rollers before I change my Turbo in June.

Just curious of other peoples opinion on this.

A stock WRX/STi comes with a BPV (Bypass valve) which is a vacuum-actuated valve designed to release pressure in the intake system when the throttle is lifted or closed. This air pressure is re-circulated back into the non-pressurized end of the intake before the turbo.

An after market blowoff valve (VTA) does basically the same thing BUT unlike the stock unit it releases air to the atmosphere (giving you the loud sound). Some people see an after market BOV on a stock WRX as being in poor taste (due to the fact that it is basically a noise maker that really as no other benefit), while others simply find the sound very attractive.

Proponent opinions notwithstanding, there is a small mechanical downside to having an after market BOV (VTA) on a stock WRX. The problem comes when releasing air to the atmosphere that has already been metered by the mass airflow sensor. When the BOV releases (blows off), the ECU will be injecting the wrong amount of fuel into the cylinders. The engine temporarily runs too rich (meaning too much fuel is injected into the cylinders). This temporary rich condition isn’t typically THAT harmful, but it may cause bucking or hesitation on lift-throttle. The rich condition can NOT be eliminated by engine management or tuning.

In all honesty, i have put one on my newage blob STi, a forge one.
Cant say it has made any difference whatsoever only another bit of shiney to the engine bay!
Put a HKS one on my B4 and i think it may have had a very very slight affect on the VOD but so marginal i left it on.
Each to there own i reckon on this subject, i think they are OK, the sound i get back through my air filter on the newage is far nicer than the actual sound of the DV.

"This temporary rich condition isn’t typically THAT harmful, but it may cause bucking or hesitation on lift-throttle. The rich condition can NOT be eliminated by engine management or tuning."

Hey man, I have a Legacy B4 and its fitted with a HKS ssqv bov. Its my first subaru and Ive only had it a couple of months, but I've noticed recently, that when I lift off the throttle, the revs will rise a little as the bov operates, is this what is meant by the top quote? I might think about returning to the original setup.
Cheers :subaru:

i found after the spring in my forge on my old v5 broke and went back to the standard setup it was better all round more responsive,idled better etc

Factory ones all round defo. Until a power level need to upgrade or a turbo strong enough you can run with no dump valve at all

Hey man, I have a Legacy B4 and its fitted with a HKS ssqv bov. Its my first subaru and Ive only had it a couple of months, but I've noticed recently, that when I lift off the throttle, the revs will rise a little as the bov operates, is this what is meant by the top quote? I might think about returning to the original setup.
Cheers :subaru:
[/quote]
The fact you have noticed it you should just try it but see do you notice the difference in the way it drives too :thumbsup:

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=32874.msg376503#msg376503 date=1326575064]
Factory ones all round defo. Until a power level need to upgrade or a turbo strong enough you can run with no dump valve at all
[/quote]
+ 2

[quote author=GORDON GT SERIES II link=topic=32874.msg376502#msg376502 date=1326574758]
i found after the spring in my forge on my old v5 broke and went back to the standard setup it was better all round more responsive,idled better etc
[/quote]

+3

Back