Car wont start

Scoobyturbo

ISDC Club Member
Right lads me heads wrecked for the last 3 months i have had hassle with the legacy dieing then not starting i have been towed 3 times in total and each time it has happened is after driving for a while.

1st time it happend was about 3 hours after fitting a cossy panel filter(drove 40 min with no probs left for 2.5 hours then wouldnt start.towed my dads left for a week went back started straight away)went home and fitted k&n filter back into it.

2nd time went to get petrol filled up wouldnt start towed home tried next day killed battery.
Fitted new battery and got starter reconditioned and fuel pump taken out and tested all fine.

3rd time was driving back to work from lunch had no issue for days sitting at traffic lights car just went silent no splutter no mad revs just died wouldnt start towed home again.

Deactivated my blackjax 2 point imobiliser sunday night car started straight away drove round for 1.5 hours flying no problems at all switched on/off loads of times was grand.
car hasnt started since.reactivated blackjax tonight put in password and no joy put in valet mode no joy deactivated again no joy
Switched ignition on/off rapidly bout 10 times and it started for about 5 seconds then died.
Anybody any ideas what this could be no codes when connecting black blocks.
Sorry for the story lads
Billy

as above billy

it sounds like its spark or fuel problem

plugs, coil packs, fuel filter is were i would start.

in my old job a had a classic impreza for a company car and it was doing the very same, we stripped out the alarm as we thought it was that, car drove grand for weeks then it started acting up again, it turned out to be a block connecter going to the fuel pump :hammerhead:

If you battery is being run flat it's the alternator...can you test the battery in another car or with a phase tester?

Start with the fuel system and rule out pump and filter billy then check pressure going to the rail and take it from there going to be slow i know but its the only way to find the problem and rule it out system by system

Thanks lads im gona change fuel filter first and see if it makes any difference i can smell the petrol when trying to start it a couple of times could that be a hint?
Changed alternator few months ago (did myself) as mine was wineing like mad and it was running fine well before track day.
how precise should it be?i marked the adjuster before changing and its a tiny bit below the mark(pully to the right of alternator sounds bit strange sort of dry sound if that makes sense)
Myself and colm went through the blackjax loom and it would knock the ignition off if moved at a certain angle whats the chances that could be it?im not to sure on this one as it wouldnt start with it deactivated.
I have it just over 5 years and have never changed plugs etc put about 20000 klms on it in that time so this should prob be next step.
Will check all the bits everybody has said and see how i get on
This happened for the first time few hours after changeing the panel filter thats what has me confused checked all wires around airbox and maf and all look good.
Should i pull the plug on the side of the engine near the maf and see how it looks?
Never took a plug out so bit nervous doing this myself

check the wires going to the air flow meter billy . one broke on mine and it didn't know till i hit off it and car cut out . there's about 5 wires going into a connector block they break where they go in .worth a try .

Will do i know i put a fair bit of pressure on the airbox to get it closed tricky fookers to get back on
Cheers bud :thumbsup:

bily i would change the plugs anyway as well as the fuel filter as either job isnt a dear one at least that will be ruled out if any of the wires on the maf are loose it could cause the intermittent problem you're having

[quote author=GORDON GT SERIES II link=topic=32812.msg375994#msg375994 date=1326314246]
bily i would change the plugs anyway as well as the fuel filter as either job isnt a dear one at least that will be ruled out if any of the wires on the maf are loose it could cause the intermittent problem you're having
[/quote]
Cheers man just done a list of things to check :thumbsup:

if there was a problem with the maf
would it not have a check engine light :dontknow:
my money is on the alarms
i know it could very well be something else
especially since it had just done a track day
but the wiring on that clifford is fairly bad
and then mds told you they give trouble when they get old the same problem you have :ponder2:
its a great car
just this little problem needs to be sorted :wall:
will be interesting to see what it turns out is the problem
Keep the faith Billy :thumbsup:

Blackjax will be coming out as will the laserline regardless if its them or not
Both are in a heap wiring is a joke dont fecking know what there connected too
Wires everywhere not connected to anything its mad i open the door with the alarm on and nothing
Turn it on and it screams just dont get it.

only for yourself my car would belong to sombody else by now
Lads use dont realise how much colm has helped me out in the past few months
For this reason alone il be renewing my membership again this year
Club spirit is top class
Cheers everybody

no worries Billy
had some good laughs doing it

@Duffman :545:

[quote author=DUFFMAN link=topic=32812.msg376016#msg376016 date=1326319841]
get a room you's two, :icon_nana:
[/quote]

colm i could be wrong but i think the fault has to come into it a few times before the check light will come on ,again the alarm could well be at fault so might be an idea to take it out and have it wired back in neat and properly
billy fair play to ya man for not losing heart in it im sure you will sort it

[quote author=GORDON GT SERIES II link=topic=32812.msg376044#msg376044 date=1326321638]
colm i could be wrong but i think the fault has to come into it a few times before the check light will come on ,again the alarm could well be at fault so might be an idea to take it out and have it wired back in neat and properly
billy fair play to ya man for not losing heart in it im sure you will sort it
[/quote]
Its a love hate thing when it good its great when its bad its head wrecking
Iv had it good for the last couple of years compared to some of the lads on here
Blown engines replaced within 2 weeks etc i just couldnt do that would break my heart :thumbsup:

Right lads havnt had a chance to do anything yet
Went over tonight to try start it still cranking but wont fire up

When sitting in the car with the ignition on if i hold the accelerator down i can here the soliniod clicking like mad

I opened the bonnet and held throttle cable down and its defo from the soliniod box
I never heard this before is this the norm?

Strange thing is now its just clicking when i try start it like its drained the battery

Back