legacy rs twin turbo secondary not boosting?

danoc959

Sunday Drivers
well lads im having a problem with my 98 leggy rs twin turbo. (92-98 shape)

ive tryed to do some homework before i write up a new topic so if there is one alike im sorry if i missed it.

ive just got the car about 2-3 weeks now and ive notice a problem on secondary boost, 0-3000/3500rpm primary turbo 1bar boost ok, then (vod) no boost of course,and 4500rpm secondary turbos should boost at 1.2, but only get 0.1/0.2/0.3 so might aswell be noting! :angry1:

so what ive done;

took the tmic off and check that all the boost pipes were on tight with no breaks or tears etc. all were fine
checked tmic for breaks etc everything fine should hold boost

now the car has some mods that may effect this i.e. a hks evc controler gen 3/4 (the black one green screen)
hks blow off valve
has the vac lines for these two upgraded i.e. silcone blue line
ive heard of this pill thing too??? some resistor in the dump valve lines if someone could clarify this that be great as i dont understand
standard airbox and filter
upgraded larger back box and middle / standard cats and manifold

none of the dash lights come or engine check lights
havent done an ecu check if someone could let me know if its the same a imprezza i.e green and black plugs.

so ive try to put everything i can think of that may be of help. im not a mechanic by trade but a sparks, in saying that i know my way round an engine or two and a dab handy when it comes to the spanners.

thanks to anyone in advance for any help :wink:

p.s. car was a isdc member in 2008 and i hope to make it a 2012 member come monday​
.. :multijump:..​

ok,there are little pills known as restrictor pills in a few places on the TT plumbing,and it varies from model to model. I think i have a diagram somewhere,ill have a look. I came across a legacy TT with no secondary boost before and problem was the flap in the up pipe to the secondary turbo. It had worn so the shaft was just spinning when the actuator tried to open the flap,so no secondary boost was being made.

doesn't sound to me like a pill problem! sounds to me like its mechanical, sounds like boost isn't being made

does the big actuator move freely on the secondary turbo? also did you check the actuated valve under the intercooler? if thats moving freely?

could also be a DPS issue (differential pressure sensor) thats located on the drivers side suspension strut

have you checked for codes?

just waiting on the box from nutbeams in uk to get delivered. ill fit that and then go from there..

hope its noting big?? and whats this flag about??

Back